Friday, May 31, 2013

Design Thoughts Pt. 1

The idea for this post came from a friend whose blog I follow (you can follow it here)...Lauren's most recent blog has me thinking about a couple of things. First, I'd like to share this quote (that I copied from her blog, that was copied from her sister, who is reading this book).

"A Christian, above all people, should live artistically, aesthetically, and creatively. We are supposed to be representing the Creator who is there, and whom we acknowledge to be there. It is true that all people are created in the image of God, but Christians are supposed to be conscious of that fact, and being conscious of it should recognize the importance of living artistically, aesthetically  and creatively, as creative creatures of the Creator. If we have been created in the image of an Artist, then we should look for expressions of artistry, and be sensitive to beauty, responsive to what has been created for our appreciation." - Edith Schaeffer, The Hidden Art of Homemaking

I don't know about you, but it's time for me to dust off my Kindle. I am TOTES reading this book. Like, now.

This quote so literally describes what is at the heart of my decorating 'obsession.' I've never been able to put it into words like Edith did, but OH MY GOSH, THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL! Yes, I genuinely enjoy organizing and painting, but it's more than that. I believe I was created specifically to use these gifts and display creativity in a way that reflects the image of God and gives Him glory...And the perfect venue for me to display those gifts is at our house.

You might think wrapping frappucino and salsa bottles with twine doesn't accurately glorify our Heavenly Father (my husband would certainly question it), but you guys, it totally does! Little details can impact decor in such a big way. Bottles wrapped in twine look MUCH better holding pens and pencils in a pretty office, than a plastic Iowa State cup.

Okay, okay...it was a good solution in college...but the old plastic ISU cups we were all so excited about after freshmen orientation just don't work as part of my household decor anymore (no offense if that's what you currently use in your office...it might totally work! :).

Here's an example of how I believe I honor God with my decorating...this was an old barn shutter I found last fall. I found my inspiration on Pinterest and used acrylic paint to create this for Christmas:


Many of you probably also know that I strongly believe a well-organized home lends itself to good design. In fact, I would say it's central to how I plan and decorate everything in our house. Organization is just another way I feel like I can be a good steward of what God has blessed us with. If our cupboards are a mess and our closets are overflowing with crap...in turn, my house becomes cluttered and messy.

NOT good design.

And NOT what I believe God had in mind when he blessed us with our lovely little gray house.

Obviously our house isn't always perfect and the kitchen drawers aren't always clean and organized...but I wanted to share some of the things God has laid on my heart for the design direction of our household. On the outside I know it looks like I really love glittering light bulbs and canvasses, when ultimately I'm just striving to be a creative creature of the Creator.

And I KNOW there will be, like, pounds of glitter in heaven.

-The Glitter Queen







No comments:

Post a Comment