Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Room Reveal: Maverick's Room


Shower decor, turned room decor. Hung on the door with a clear Command Strip/Hook...meaning it's adorable but not permanent.

We found out I was pregnant on Christmas Day. Some of you may remember, but at that time, the floors in our kitchen/dining/hallway/spare bathroom were all torn up in the midst of our tiling project (room reveal on that to come I SWEAR...trim will hopefully be done in the next two weeks!). There were approximately 40 cases of 16x16 tile, power tools, and random junk from the whole house residing in the room that is now officially ready to welcome Maverick. People think I'm ridiculous, but I'm not kidding when I tell you...IT ACTUALLY TOOK 8 MONTHS FOR ME TO COMPLETE THIS ROOM.

My main goal when decorating was to keep things neutral, understated, and VERSATILE...but I still wanted the room to say BOY without going the 'gender neutral' route via yellows and greens. I wanted to stay away from spending any significant amount of money on BOY stuff that was permanent, yet I wanted a boy theme (see my challenges here?). I also wanted to avoid decorating an overly 'baby-looking' room so it could be something Maverick could grow into...the chances of another sibling (boy or girl) joining him in this room are pretty good, so I made sure to keep that in mind with my decorating choices and furniture and baby purchases throughout the process. And now that it's done, I feel like it could easily grow with him until he's 10, with just a few tweaks here and there.

So here is the official baby room reveal with some explanations, prices, and where I found stuff. Brace yourself for picture overload...I've been holding back for EIGHT MONTHS.

This part of the room...I die.

The canvas came from HobLob, full price $60 (?), bought at half price for $30. The birch branches are a nod to the subtle woodland theme we have happening in here with some gold flecks for mommy to appreciate (Josh approved). The Maverick barn wood sign was a custom-made gift from dear friends AND IT'S LITERALLY SO PERFECT.



The toy box is starting to fill up! My favorite part are the little raccoon's that look at me when I open it, all from very special people. ;)

Crib, mattress, bedding and toy box were all gifts from Target. 

This is my view when I walk by Maverick's room...and I'm sort of in love with it.

I sewed the curtain panels from drop cloth fabric from Lowe's for $20. The silver (petal press) garbage can came from our Valentine's IKEA trip for $12. The swivel rocker/chair came from Target...original price is $300 (but with coupons, 5% off, free shipping/handling, and shower gift cards, I can assure you that is NOT what I paid for it ;). I was looking for something that could be versatile enough to easily move from room-to-room and look like real FURNITURE for many years post-baby.

Originally I had chosen a white shelf for the room, but after being overwhelmed with soooo much white furniture, I thought one brown piece would warm things up a little without being too dark. This room isn't very big so that's why I've been so overly obsessed with light, white, cream, neutrals. The wall color is warm gray (with a slight brown undertone), but light at the same time. Even the shades of gray I've allowed in the room have been on the lighter side (up-close pics of each shelf are below).

The turquoise ottoman/storage chest came from a cute, vintage boutique in Hampton for $22 and balances out all the NEW stuff in the room with some rustic charm. My dad's toy tractor's from childhood currently reside in here. Josh's complete collection of Calvin and Hobbes sits right beside the rocker for easy-reading access and that's also where I'm plugging in/disguising the baby monitors. I've mentioned this before but I HATE CORDS.



I already gave you more details on this dresser than you wanted to know in THIS blog post, but here it is in action. I think it will be a handy place to keep items I just want to grab quickly while I'm sitting in the rocker to avoid getting up. ;) I'll probably simplify the decor that sits on top when Maverick is old enough to reach out and grab things, but it works for now. The raccoon was a gift and contributes to the theme without being obnoxious and permanent.

The barn wood frame came from our farmhouse and the metal 'M' sitting inside was tied to a shower gift. The white frames were from IKEA/TJ for super cheap. And this lamp. I searched every store in a 50 mile radius for a lamp that wasn't too burlappy and glittery and silvery and big...which seems to be all that exists these days. I finally circled back to this one at Target (I should have known) for $25 because it was light-colored and neutral and small enough for this dresser.

Framed scrapbook paper from HobLob that I had leftover from another project in the room (closet reveal coming later this week). Spray painted a bunch of frames I already had gold to tie in the gold accents from the canvas. And since Maverick Wesley James was named after G'pa Wes, this cute school picture fits for now. :)

Books tend to throw off my color scheme...it always happens. So to combat that a little, I covered the bindings with the front of our favorite raccoon book. Still works for storage, and hides all the primary colors I hate. ;)


I LOVE this little guy. He was a decoration at my first shower too! I think he was just printed from Pinterest and glued onto brown paper. No sense in paying a lot of money for art anymore when stuff is THIS easy...again, making most of the raccoon decor in this room easily changeable. The barn frame came from Kohl's with a 30% off coupon so I think it was maybe around $5-$7?

Turquoise frames (there are two of these in the room) came from TJ Maxx and were the accent color inspiration for the room from the beginning. They're hard to match perfectly, which I'm okay with because I didn't want a lot of overwhelming color to take away from the neutrals. I think they were $5.99/each. The black cowboy boots were my mom's when she was little and we unearthed them from the cedar chest before we knew if baby was a boy or a girl. They'll probably have to go away at some point when we have more books and toys to fill the shelves, but for now I like them. ;) This is a terrible picture btw, and I apologize.

Ignore the smoke detector we need to get batteries for. Yikes. :)

Anyway, I just absolutely love this feature wall. And I love that it's the first thing people see when they walk by. The Hemmes dresser came from our baby trip to IKEA for $250. The changing pad and cover were both gifts from Target. The old door came out of the attic of a house Tami sold last Christmas...I used the quart of paint I bought for accents in this room (two shades darker than the wall...the same color I used on the small dresser) and chalk paint I had on hand. I can change this door to Bible verses or quotes we love...and the options at Christmas are endless.

Those big jars are the only reason I ever set foot in Wal-Mart because they are $11.99 vs. $16.99 at Target. Filled it with newborn and size 1 diapers (I have one of the top drawers filled with a stash as well) for pretty, yet easy access I'm trying to store everything for changing and baths, etc. in the top drawers to hide the clutter that seems to overtake changing tables. I can't take the credit for this idea though, I saw it in a picture of a changing table/dresser on Pinterest. 

Shelf from IKEA (can't remember the price...I think these are usually between $5-$10?), and white frames are from IKEA too. 'M' from HobLob for $10 ($5 if you wait for 1/2 off like I always do), and the gold frame was an old black one I spray painted. Because I can't stand empty frames, I filled them with our maternity pics until further notice.

The only piece of art I spent money on in this room is this 'Wild at Heart' print that I couldn't pass up on Esty. Being one of Josh's favorite books and sayings...it was the one of the first pieces I bought before I took off with this woodland-meets-gold-meets-rustic-meets-gray-raccoon's vision I had. The raccoon in the turquoise frame was just one Josh and I found on Google Images and both loved.



This rug was Josh's sibling gift at Christmas and I can't imagine a better place for it than this boy room (again, something that can easily be switched out in the event a baby girl needs to join Maverick). I found the large 5x8 area rug in the Homemaker's Clearance room FOR FIFTY DOLLARS (I had a near identical one picked out on my Target registry that was over $250).

Because this post was getting soooo long, I plan to share how I organized/decorated the closet later this week. Yes, you read that right, I may or may not have accidentally decorated the closet. Maverick is a first born, I can't help myself. ;)

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment