Friday, July 3, 2015

4th of July at Our House...AND PINK DOOR REVEAL

I guess it's technically already been revealed...a couple different times via Instagram, but I wanted to share an up-close-and-personal look at our front door in all its HOT PINK glory.

This wreath cost me a total of $2.00. These stick wreaths from HobLob...I tell ya. They are amazing and you can turn them into anything for ANY season!

Took three coats and painting doors with panels like this are THE WORST, but I am thrilled with how it turned out. It's exactly the vision I had when I started pinning pink front doors a year ago.

A couple pictures from the process...

After the first coat...our door looked more like a teenage-girl-bedroom-project gone wrong with the lime green showing through the pink. But I didn't panic... ;)

This was after two coats (see?! MUCH better) and Josh saying, "Just because I didn't say 'no' doesn't mean I said, 'yes go ahead and paint our front door pink." That communication thing...like I said...we're still not great at it. ;)

This is the only piece of 4th of July decor I allow IN our house. In the summer I'm usually right in the middle of project mayhem (currently painting of our three living room end tables) so I usually use the summer to clear the house of seasonal decor to deep clean and crank out projects. Getting stuff done is a lot harder when I have to move tons of stuff in order to complete a project. But this canvas though...I'm in love.

Speaking of project mayhem...this would be one of those projects that I've been putting off for approximately two years. The weather was never quite right and it's buggy and outdoor painting is not my specialty...it's my dad's...who happens to be the person who helped me to these steps in the first place five years ago. But I was able to talk my sister into helping me last weekend and got these DONE. And seriously...you all think I'm ridiculous but how much better do these look?! It had to be done before baby or it would have NEVER gotten done. I'm no fool.

This part of our house always sort of looks like a mess...but since I've added flowers, fresh paint, a 'B' by the door, and the black rubber rug...this entrance looks more welcoming. And it only took me three summers to get there. Perfect.

Ahhhhh...After five years of struggling to get this entrance 'right' (why is outdoor decorating so hard for me?!) I finally feel like it's there. The hydrangeas Josh planted for me a couple summers ago bloom later in the summer (which makes them perfect for drying just in time for fall) and I love changing out the decor. The 4th of July stuff gets obnoxious so I only leave it up for a few weeks, but to tell you the truth...the pink flowers and door mixed with the red doesn't totally offend me. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm also obsessed with those hanging ferns this year and had to refrain from buying three. Maybe next year. :)


That 'summer' plank was just re-used from the plank I have with 'Springtime' painted on the backside. I used the pink paint I had left from painting the front door and it adds and extra little pink touch without being too much (my opinion, anyway) I can't WAIT until I'm directing someone to our house and I get to say, 'It's the house on the corner with the HOT PINK FRONT DOOR. ;)

Coming soon...rock landscaping and hostas around our whole house! Until then, I'm still decorating in the dirt. But Josh has been calling around for quotes on rock, so I'm hopeful. I LOVE the big, bold color this flag pallet adds...I finished that off last year on the morning of the 4th and hauled it out front just in time. I'm pretty proud of those free-handed stars. ;)

A look at the whole thing!

So yes...we live in a gray, boring, ranch house, on a corner in the middle of Ames (if there's one thing I can't stand it's cookie cutter houses...yet we live in one!). But I'm pretty proud of myself for creating some rustic character with such a blatant 1905's palette to work with. Which is probably why it's taken me so long. I used to drive up to our house and be frustrated with all the projects I had in mind and all the things I wanted to do to make it look better...but this past week, I've sort of fallen in love with our house and I think someday when it's time to move into our dream home (minus the fact we'll be rid of that pesky neighbor) I'll be pretty sad.

Happy 4th of July everyone! :)

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment