Friday, January 6, 2017

422 13th St. Xmas House Tour: Kitchen

I sincerely doubt many of you will read past the second or third edition of these 'tour' posts...but I LOVED the way our house turned out this year and I need to remember exactly what I did. This way, when I pull everything out next year, I won't spend five days wandering around with a berry wreath wondering where in the heck to put it (ask Jamie...this is how 90% of my Christmas decorating goes).

Our kitchen is pretty small, so this won't be a long post...but you'll get the idea. I like to keep our counters CLEAR of clutter and crap (ie: toaster, coffee maker, mixers are all put AWAY)...and mix useful stuff with pretty stuff in the corners. Enjoy. ;)
This picture has already been 'featured' on the blog this season, but I absolutely love this little nook. It's the first thing people see when they walk in our house and it's a perfect mix of everything I love.
This is a panorama pic I snapped right before we hosted a party...the island is moved closer to the sink than it normally is to help with traffic flow...but you get a better look at the decorations and their context.
I don't have room for a beautiful village collection, so I've started collecting little house ornaments to put in jars. Then I can pop them wherever they fit. I gave these away as gifts this year also (but used them to decorate my house for the majority of the season first!).
My super-easy cocoa/cider bar is still being used on my counter!
Another little corner of the kitchen that is usually much simpler...but at Christmas it gets special attention.
My garland recipe is the same throughout the house so even though we have a LOT, it looks less busy because it's all consistent.
Step 1: Garland
Step 2: Lights
Step 3: Beads
Step 4: Magnolia Leaves
Step 5: Hymnals
Step 6: Berries
Here's a peek at the cabinet we found in Galena! It's such a hard spot in the house to snap a decent picture. But it's PERFECT for this space...holds Christmas dishes and my cute ugly old china on the first two shelves...and baskets with shoes, hats, and mittens in the bottom. :)
I'm so obsessed with our Christmas dishes...and this year my parents added bowls to my collection!
The greenery I stuff all over the house has just come from garlands when they 'shed'...I gather and keep all the pieces in a plastic bag from year to year and it really comes in handy for little spots like this.
I found this sign for 90% off at Kohl's last April. #winning It sort of just said 'Josh' to me. ;)
This is probably a spot in our house that usually goes unnoticed...but I love adding Christmas cheer here anyway. :)
I can't take credit for this because I saw Josh's mom do it first...but I ran out of ornaments to fill this jar and just started throwing in other random Christmas stuff...pink icicles, a nativity, post cards work too...mounted it on a cake plate for a little height and ta-da! :) Some fridge-top beauty.

When the kitchen is in hosting-mode, it looks something like this...
That butcher block really comes in handy for adding counter space in our kitchen. I'd never done this before this Christmas and I LOVED the extra counter space it gave me.
I also used it as 'decor' a time or two...haha...who would have known that a dirty hunk of wood Josh found in the shed would be THIS awesome to use in the house?!
Note this galvanized bucket throughout the post. It came with my big glass beverage dispenser (we have two) and it has soooooo many amazing uses. I would highly recommend nabbing one the next time they're at Sam's Club.
This 'spread' was reinvented no less than four times this season. It was easy to remember what my 'menu' was, what I needed to grab at the grocery store the next time I went, and what I still had from the last party. Coupled with red plastic plates, cups, and silverware...our events this season were a breeze.
And there's the kitchen! I'm hoping to post the Dining Room tomorrow. ;)

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment