Friday, January 20, 2017

on accidentally becoming an introvert.

How we prefer to party these days...at our house, in comfy clothes, once Mav is in bed.
I'm not sure when it happened. But I know it's happened since becoming a mom.

I went into this thinking I would be the type of mom to crave constant social interaction...and have playdates and outings and trips scheduled with friends every day of the week. I was more than ready to beat those lonely SAHM blues because I'm an extrovert! I love talking! I am Mollie!

As it turns out, I love doing those things all the time...
Except, actually the opposite is true.

I literally want to crawl into a cave when my phone rings and it's anyone besides Josh. I suddenly LOATHE talking on the phone. Unless I'm driving and I initiate the phone call to my mom for a chat. I'm not sure why a panic attack ensues when I hear that stupid iPhone ring...but it does. This is very new for me.

If I have more than one thing 'booked' per day? Just kill me now. On Wednesday I had a coffee date with a gal and her little peanut at Burgie's and it was great! I came home and said, "Josh I made a new mom-friend! It was so fun!" After this coffee date, I spent a couple hours hanging out with a family friend who has autism (the point of our time together was making conversation) and that was also super fun. I was surprised at how awesome I was doing handling THIS MUCH social interaction in one day. That was until everyone left, I realized there was nothing on my calendar until Friday night...and I proceeded to spend the next two days without leaving the house, living a leggings + zero makeup existence.

Every month a couple girls at our church throw this thing called 'Third Thursday' and it always sounds so awesome. They plan a craft or some kind of activity along with a fun themed-supper. Last night they wanted everyone to wear pajamas, bring breakfast food, and we were going to sit around some discussion questions painting our nails.

If that doesn't have MOLLIE written all over it, I'm not sure what does.

I haven't able to attend in previous month's for various reasons, but I was about 75% sure I was going to pull it together and go this month. I was even a little excited. That was until Maverick decided to walk around the house throwing a nonstop tantrum from 5:00 to 7:00 (it's a delightful phase we're in)...at which point I put him to bed an hour early then locked myself in the bathroom for a hot bath in coconut oil, the latest episode of This is Us, and a glass of wine.

I wasn't angry. I didn't yell at either of my boys. I just needed 45 minutes of silence before I could act like a person again. I emerged at 8:00 ready to eat chips and salsa and watch New Girl with Josh, as is our usual weeknight tradition. Some moms would have probably been dying to leave the house after an exceptionally bad night like this one, but not me. The very idea of leaving the house sent me running straight for my yoga pants.

Disclaimer: The last time I took a bath was when I was pregnant. Jamie texted me at 8:00 asking for a picture of Mav and I replied with, "He went to bed at 7:15" She goes, "He's already asleep?!" I said, "I don't know. I took a bath." And she immediately understood. 

Church on Sunday just about does me in if I'm serving in a classroom, attending church, and then meeting for Connection Group (which is what's going down this Sunday). Sunday's are the reason we don't leave the house on Monday's. I like to pretend it's because we're recovering from a busy weekend (which is sometimes the case!) but really it's because I want to hibernate. I loooove hibernating. Maverick does not love it so much.

The impending ice storm was really a thrill for me because I knew it meant I had a perfectly valid excuse to stay home. #praisehands

The thing is, I never regret meeting up for a play date, grabbing coffee with a friend, or hitting the library with Mav. I just really have to make an effort these days to want to do those things...which is the struggle for many introverts, I imagine (I find it's especially hard during these winter months). And because Mav loves climbing in the play place at Chick-Fil-A and playing with other kiddos at church playgroup, I'll be putting my new-introvert tendencies aside. I prefer connecting with other moms and their kiddos in a low-key one-on-one setting (I blame Josh's extended family for this one...40+ people gathering for Christmas in one house? I'll be hiding in the bathroom, kthanks.) but I've even blocked out Tuesday mornings for those big, crazy church play dates this semester too.

So...anyone want to drink coffee and sit at the library with me while we try to keep our babies from putting dirty Legos in their mouths?

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment