Thursday, May 28, 2015

Tips for Looking Fab During Pregnancy

In the midst of a lot of very not fun things going on in our extended families...I've decided to take my mind off of everything going on by posting something completely frivolous, shallow, and mindless...I present: Tips for Looking Fab During Pregnancy.

{photography by LibbyAsayStudio.com}


Tip #1

For heaven's sake, buy some clothes that FIT. I've never been a big fan of the 'squeeze yourself into something tiny so everything pours out' trend that our culture seems to be obsessed with...it's. so. not. attractive. And I was not about to adopt that kind of style for 9 miserable months.

Some women love to cling to their 'pre-pregnant skinny jeans' for as LONG AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE like it's some kind of badge of honor, despite being insanely uncomfortable. At 14 weeks, I was not about that life. Being comfortable AND cute is important to me...but I've found that I don't feel cute if I'm not ALSO comfortable. Since I'm a fairly confident gal in my 'real life,' spending 40+ weeks being self-conscious was just not going to work for me.

Tip #2

Hey everyone...there is NO SHAME in buying maternity clothes. With the weeks ticking by, it didn't make sense to pretend I'm not pregnant when I very obviously am. The week Target Cartwheel gave me 20% off my total maternity purchase, you can bet your life I went to stock up on leggings, tanks, and my first pair of maternity jeans. It's all just necessary, so why put off the inevitable?

I have this sort of cheesy pregnancy/baby book I've been trying to write in and most of it is bearable, but some of the pages are stupid and annoying. Like when I got to the page that read, 'What is your Maternity Style?' with a bunch of really obnoxious multiple choice options. I crossed everything out and wrote, 'NA - My normal style.' Even if I have to try on 59 things and pin 26 outfits on Pinterest before I find something that's 'me' enough to buy, that's what I do. I think it's been a huge part of why these 27 weeks have gone so fast...I've felt normal and comfortable in my body most of time.

Tip #3

Don't make it weird. I'm just being honest...there is also no shame in the occasional lip wax appointment. This was a beauty secret I discovered a couple years ago and promptly forced on my mom and sister who I decided also struggled in this area. Nothing wrong with it. Just something you should inspect and then take care of, if necessary. I've heard this small issue can get worse with pregnancy, but since I was already in the habit of scheduling these appointments, I've just continued...and haven't felt an ounce of embarrassment.

***I'd recommend Tommy's Salon. Depending on the stylist, they have prices for any budget ranging anywhere from $5 to $13 for a lip wax treatment that takes 5 minutes or less, approx. every two months. WORTH IT.***

Tip #4

When people have commented on my Facebook pictures or complimented me in person on my 'pregnant glow,' I'm here to tell you...it's not real. It's manufactured with a hint of self-tanner and a carefully contoured combination of cover-up, foundation, powder, and blush. Before a weekend full of plans or a date night, I spray the parts of me that are going to show the night before, then 'sleep careful' so it dries evenly. This is a trick I've done for years, but have become more familiar with in the past six months that I've been unable to bask in the beds at Sun Tan City.

Now that summer is here, I'm spending as much time as I can outside reading, walking, swimming, lazy-rivering, and tanning so I can keep that tan glow going strong. Things look smaller when they're dark...the same logic applies to pregnant bodies being tan (you might laugh...but that's actually not a joke).

Tip #5

Establish a lotion budget. No really...I've used more lotion in the past 27 weeks than I have in my entire life and my skin feels GREAT. Absolutely great. I was already in the habit of applying lotion after every shower (especially in the winter time) but I added throwing some lotion on my limbs before bed to my routine. I started showering every other day to minimize how dry my skin and hair get, and I even started washing my face before bed to avoid that pregnancy acne I was warned about (judge me...I NEVER used to wash my face before bed). I've also heard women complain about dry, crackly, weird skin during pregnancy and was determined that would not be something I would complain about...so I've just become best friends with lotion. Problem solved.

The jury is still out on the stretch marks I'm told, but so far we are in the clear. Back at 10 weeks I started religiously applying Burt's Bee's Mama Bee lotion to my tummy-tum after every shower. Kim Kardashian avoided stretch marks with non-stop coconut oil and since she is a goddess, I'm planning to do the same thing starting at 30 weeks.

Tip #6

Nails. If you're not the kind of girl who cares about painted fingers and toes, then just ignore this tip. I wish I was blessed with the gift of pretty natural nails...I was not. I've had polish on all 20 flanges every single day since about 7th grade. I do my nails on average 1.5 times per week and my toes about every two-three weeks. I've been informed painting toe nails will get increasingly more difficult in the third trimester, so I'm prepared. I am planning two shellac pedi's for July and August (they usually last me more than a month!) which should take care of the most difficult 'bending over' months and should hopefully last until well after Maverick is here. There is no way Josh Boersma is getting near my nails, even if he offered (which there was about a 2% chance of). So other arrangements needed to be made.


All in all, there was just no way I was going to spend 40 weeks being a complaining, miserable, pregnant human. Have I spent entirely too much time in dressing rooms trying a million things on until I find one thing I love? Yes. Have I spent way too many hours planning cute outfits to wear? Yes. Do I spend an extra 20 minutes each morning putting on lotion? Yes. Is all of that ridiculous? YES.

These are just some ways I've been able to stay comfortable and feel like 'myself' even though there is an alien growing inside of me. Being cute and pregnant is actually a lot of work (see above), and I'm sure the next time around won't be quite as fab...but at 27 weeks I can confidently proclaim that I FEEL PRETTY...which seems like a sizeable victory to me. So I thought it might be fun to share all of my secrets. :)

MmB


No comments:

Post a Comment