Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The More Chevron, the Better

Well folks...like I said. I was having a hard time not painting everything in our house with a flat, paintable surface, chevron.

So I settled for painting this table I found on Craigslist for $15. It's actually a super nice coffee table, and when we have a basement or a 2nd living room someday, it will just be perfect. For now, it's going in our spare bedroom when Jamie takes the day bed with her to her first apartment.

With storage and organization always on my mind, I'll be putting baskets underneath (actually, cardboard diaper boxes covered in burlap or twine is my goal) in an effort to corral things like magazines, BLC stuff, and all the random crap that I tend to shove in that room. Here's a little bit about what the process looked like.:


I actually don't have a true before picture because this table started out as espresso with some nicks and scuffs. I did some light sanding last fall and then this table sat in the garage for 6 months. Woops.

Then I primed with spray paint primer (because I'm lazy) and did three (yes THREE) coats of high gloss, white Valspar paint. After it had about a week to cure, I knew it would be safe to tape off. Again, I free-handed and eyeballed this process (because I'm lazy).

I paid more attention to sealing down the tape and also started with the middle line and worked my way outward, so it would end up being more even. Because the edges of the coffee table have some detail, I thought taping off the whole outside create a nice, clean look.

I used extra paint I had leftover from painting my dining room wall and voila!


I do have some minimal touching up to do, but I'm super happy with the results! Yay chevron, chevron everywhere!

-Chevron Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment