Saturday, January 5, 2019

The Ames Holiday Home Tour



If you know me, you probably know I spent the past year preparing to be on the Ames Holiday Home Tour, put on by the Altrusa organization in Ames. 

A *little* bit of an undertaking, considering we also spent the year renovating. But all the while, I was picturing exactly how I would decorate for Christmas. In a weird way, it was my #1 motivation for knocking out project after project. I'm actually really thankful I had something to PUSH me to finish certain things that I might have put off for years otherwise.

Anyway, each house on the tour does a write-up for the tour booklet and I thought I'd share ours for those of you who didn't make it to the tour on that rainy, muddy weekend in December:


Josh and Mollie Boersma purchased the 'fixer upper' cottage farmhouse of their dreams on December 2017. It was potential (wrapped in wallpaper) and work began immediately with March 1st set as the move-in goal. Originally built in 1939 and remodeled + addition in 1984, extensive work needed to be done after decades of neglect to bring the charming cottage-character back to life and carried cohesively throughout the home.

Some projects were outsourced; however, the majority of the work was completed by the couple, along with their amazing friends and family, who came and helped for fun. By August 2018 the home was totally 'finished' and focus shifted to landscaping; tree trimming, and the garage + barn overhaul began.

Glass doorknobs, arched doorways, and original hardwood floors are some of their homes' favorite features. Authentic shiplap from Josh's grandpa's barn, hung above the whitewashed fireplace adds meaningful character. The mantle mounted in the dining room came from the old 'Polk Cottage' (which sat on Iowa State's campus prior to relocation) and brings coziness to the large, vaulted space.

Christmas is always a highlight of the year for the family, but especially this year as they decorated their sweet cottage farmhouse for the first time. 16+ trees will grace the 4,200 SF home featuring a large collection of antique ornaments and vintage decor, all uniquely displayed.

Josh and Mollie, along with their energetic three-year-old, Maverick transitioned easily to acreage life. Two Great Pyrenees, Milly and Remy made their home here in April; two kitties arrived in July. The couple enjoys hosting as much as they possibly can and are usually happiest when all the beds and couches in their six-bedroom home are full of overnight guests.


In the next month I'll share more about our Christmas adventures, what we have coming up for 2019, and how I'm organizing + deep cleaning every inch of this house for the first time. One of my goals for the year is to also spend a little more time in this space...my fun little creative outlet was neglected for most of 2018 due to LOTS OF CREATIVE THINGS happening in real life. I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with myself now that I don't wake up to painting project after painting project starting me in the face. 

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment