Friday, January 4, 2019

Christmas Hangover Egg Bake


I'd rather be playing and opening presents with my baby than cooking...I did my fair share of cooking this Christmas, but on Christmas Day WE WENT TO PERKIN'S BECAUSE IT'S CHRISTMAS FOR MOM TOO OK.

In an odd turn of events, this blog is turning into a place where I share 'recipes' I've 'created'.

Laughable. 2019 is already interesting.

Here's what we have today...Christmas hangover. Hard. There's nothing in the fridge, but at the same time, there are a lot of random leftovers in the fridge. I'm to the point where I don't even want to look in the scary abyss that is our refrigerator (I think hosting so many people/events/parties over the past month has done this to me, though I've never been fond of any kitchen appliance). So I've just started dumping things and combining things, hoping it will turn out to be something edible for guests.

Turns out, everything has been! And not only has it all been edible, it's actually been GOOD.

I like egg bakes because I can make them the day before the morning that people will wake up in our house hungry for breakfast. This way, no one sees my awkward 'cooking.' I pop it in the next morning (or go to bed with the disclaimer, 'whoever is awake first in the morning, preheat the oven and put the egg bake in') and after an hour it's a delicious breakfast everyone is raving about, yet I had very little to do with. Excellent.

Ingredients:
(basically everything listed below is optional except the eggs...go with what you feel here)

8-12 eggs (depending on how many you're feeding)
Milk
Half & Half
Cheese (any and all varieties, shredded or block, doesn't matter)
Christmas ham
Christmas bacon
Christmas pork
Christmas stuffing
Christmas sweet potatoes
Christmas mashed potatoes
Anything else from your Christmas dinner you feel like throwing in
Random onions/peppers/spinach/veggies you find in the fridge

Layer stuffing/potatoes (if you have them) on the bottom
Whip (am I using the right kitchen verb there? WHISK-whatever) eggs, add whatever milk you find in the fridge that hasn't gone bad...in my case this meant some half & half
Add your assortment of meats into the egg mixture
Throw in some salt and pepper, minced onions, garlic salt, all at random...none of us have time for measuring things
Throw in your veggies
Add a handful of cheese
Stir

Dump the egg "surprise" mixture on the bottom layer of the egg bake
Throw a bunch more cheese on top
Put in the fridge or bake right away

Preheat oven to 350
If it's been in the fridge overnight, bake for an hour (prepare to leave it in longer)
If you're planning to serve it right away, 45 minutes-an hour
Let stand for 10-ish minutes

To combat that depressing Christmas hangover, serve your egg bake with mimosas and/or Bloody Mary's...again, feel free to completely make up the recipe for these based on whatever liquor/juices/wine people left at your house from previous Christmas festivities.

ENJOY!

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment