Sunday, January 6, 2019

Summer Reads, Christmas Reads & Everything in Between



It's been a minute since I posted one of my reading lists.

I'm here to catch you up. And thanks to my monthly-book-stack-Instagram-accountability posts, I know exactly what I accomplished!

I've had this nagging feeling like I've hardly read anything, but looking back on this list, I've read more than I realized! I always set my goals way too high so I never get out of the habit by NOT having anything to jump to after I finish a book. I know people who can be reading five different books at a time, but I am not one of those people. My brain just can't process that many different books at the same time.



August:

1 . Everybody Always, Bob Goff

Might be the best book I read in 2018. I'll read it again and I'm willing to loan it to anyone who wants to borrow it. It was easy to read, fun to read, and kept me fully engaged every single sentence. I'm planning to read every Goff book that exists on shelves this year. Without rambling on with a summary of what it's about, I'll leave you with this quote:

"Loving people means caring without an agenda. As soon as we have an agenda, it's not love anymore. It's acting like you care to get someone to do what you want or what you think God wants them to do. Do less of that, and people will see a lot less of you and a lot more of Jesus." -Bob Goff

#micdrop

2. Becoming a Women of Influence, Carol Kent

I helped Patti clean out her garage this summer and found this gem in a box. It wasn't the full book, more of a study-book with questions throughout each chapter so it was a quick read. I wanted to read something from Carol since she spoke at a women's conference at my home church a couple years ago, but overall it wasn't my favorite. Probably would be better as a study with a group of gals.

3. Parenting, Paul David Tripp

Truthfully, we should have read this one way sooner, but didn't. Of course it's been underlined within an inch of its life and should probably be in the, 'Read Once a Year' pile. Don't look for any practical, day-to-day, nitty gritty advice in this book BUT because you'll start applying stuff from the book at a much deeper level, it starts to flood into every area of parenting, including the day-to-day tantrums, fights at bedtime, and breakfast conversations. MUST READ.


September:

4. Grace Based Parenting, Tim Kimmel

This one took me a WHILE to get through but I'm glad I toughed it out. It's not a flashy, exciting book. Just a good perspective to read from someone with grown kids, while we're still in the early stages of this parenting journey. I liked reading his stories and examples of parenting situations he dealt with when raising his kids, toddler through college, as well as examples from his experience counseling kids/families as a pastor. Good but also boring.

5. In His Image, Jen Wilkin

Knocked this one out in three days while we were at the lake with Josh's family. It's underlined to death. I can't get enough of this woman, as evidenced by the ridiculous weekend I spent commuting way more than I should have to and from Twin Lakes to Ames to see her speak at the One Conference. I don't know how she does it, but at least one time in every single book I've read of hers, she literally blows my mind with something in scripture that I've completely been missing for the past 30 years. Might be my second fave from 2018.

6. Imperfect Courage, Jessica Honegger

Ok it's impossible to pick favorites, I'm done doing that, k? I've been following Jessica on Instagram since the EARLY days of Noonday and I had absolutely no idea what was happening behind the scenes. I love that she's a CEO of a socially conscious business that uses fashion to create jobs for women all over the world, while specifically empowering women in third world countries. The impact this woman has had, starting a business from a spare bedroom in her house...insane. She balances the tension between visiting artisans in Africa one week...no showers...living in a hut...to wearing heels and big earrings while running business meetings and errands the next week SO WELL. I'll read everything she writes from here on out. This is the only 'network-marketing' brand I will ever wholeheartedly support.

7. Girl, Wash Your Face, Rachel Hollis

I know this one comes loaded with controversy after TGS posted that article about it but I felt like it was a good kick in the pants. It's motivating and fun! Maybe it's good for Christians to just not take things so seriously sometimes. Also maybe this one is more for moms who work outside the home, since many of Rachel's examples were about balancing the work-mom life and climbing the corporate ladder (which obviously didn't resonate with me) BUT I still liked it! If you have a brain and you're able to sort through what is a little bit of crap and what is motivating and applicable to your life, I'd say read it!


8. 1 & 2 Corinthians, She Reads Truth

Probably the best Bible study I did in 2018. I went through it with a group of friends, and that always helps me get a bit more out of Bible studies. Though we only 'met' to chat about it twice, just the idea that friends were going through it with me helped me discuss some things out a little more. SRT leaves many of their studies wide open...the blank pages after each passage are pretty much left up to you to write your own thoughts. Then following each week, there are structured discussion questions. I continue to use the Risen Motherhood 'cheat sheet' to help me process each passage more thoroughly.

9. 1 Peter, Jen Wilkin

Honestly didn't give this study the time and energy it deserved, and it bugs me. It's the one they decided to go through at Cornerstone this fall, along with weekly videos of Jen's teaching + table discussion and it was just one 'thing' too much for me to take on. Between the usual busy/fun fall activities along with finishing up lingering house projects, I barely kept my head above water with the homework. I have plans to comb back through at some point this spring. It's a good one and I'd really recommend, even though I can't say I got much out of it. Anyone wanna do it with me?!

December:

10. A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens

After watching more movie-re-makes and spoofs of this classic story than I care to admit (thanks Hallmark), I decided this year was THE YEAR that I would finally read it. Like, really READ it even though it was a little hard. And I did. And it was good. And I'm making it my goal to read it in November/December every couple of years. Plus the copy I found on Amazon has really great illustrations, which brings a little bit more life to an old book like this one. It's also not as long as you think!

11. The Worst Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Barbara Robinson

FAVORITE DECEMBER READ HANDS DOWN. Ok, ok, the actual Christmas story is the best thing I read in December, BUT this is a close second. I LAUGHED OUT LOUD while reading it on our little getaway to Galena. Like, in the middle of a restaurant, was laughing and crying a little. I remembered it being funny when I was little, but for some reason totally forgot about it and haven't read it in probably 20 years. SO MUCH REGRET. Will read it every year and it will be one we read out loud as a family. Just totally hilarious. I read it in an afternoon.

12. Advent: Until the Son of God Appears, She Reads Truth

I have two days of this left to finish, but I count that as a win since December every year is its own brand of CRAZY. I was able to keep up with the study (thanks to those 'free' days at the end of every week) and it doesn't hurt that every year the books get more and more beautiful. Opening it every day was a good way to hit 'reset' and remember WHAT I was decorating for and celebrating in the midst of the craziness. Jesus is coming!

13. A Pioneer Christmas Collection, 9 stories/9 authors

This was what I was looking forward to all month and I'm finally there. I wanted to spend December reading FOR FUN, as opposed to what I spend most of the year doing...studying, learning, growing...This book has been a really, really fun one to work through. Chapters are short, individual books are short, the stories are all by Christian authors, and it's been YEARS since I've read anything like this for content. I'd highly recommend for your Christmas reading next year!

I'd leave you with my book-selections for January, but this post is already too long and I've lost all of you. I'll post those to Insta tonight!

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment