Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Dear G'pa Harm...


If you happened to scroll down your star-spangled Instagram feed at all today, maybe you caught a few pics of the party we threw for G'pa Harm's 90th Birthday up at the farm. I think I'll save the photo dump for tomorrow (the adorable memories and photo-ops today were ENDLESS), but for now I wanted go post the letter I wrote to G'pa Harm as his 'birthday gift.'

And I made sure it was in large font because...90.

Dear Grandpa Harm,

Since sometimes it’s hard for you to hear us when there are so many people around visiting, I thought I’d write you a birthday letter for your birthday gift instead…this way I know you won’t miss out on everything I wanted to tell you.

I haven’t had a grandpa of my own since I was 12. My grandpa Lewis (my mom’s dad) died of a heart attack while he was hauling a tractor somewhere for a delivery…I think he was 65. He worked as a mechanic at the Case dealership in Jewell for most of his life. My other grandpa, James, died in a car accident when my dad was only six years old. He was a farmer near Thompson. I never knew him and there’s a big part of me that felt like all of this was kind of unfair. I never got the chance to know my grandpa’s once I became an adult…ask them questions about work and what it was like raising my parents. They never got to meet Maverick, or any of their great-grandchildren for that matter.

But all of that changed when I married Josh and was given some of the best grandparents in the world! It was like I had a second chance at getting the grandpa I didn’t get the chance to ‘finish’ growing up with. I’m sure you would have gotten along so great with my two grandpas. Because you’re a farmer who loves tractors, in a way I felt like God was giving me a perfect mixture of MY grandpa’s when he gave me you.

One of the first things I remember about Josh back in college was the way he talked about his childhood memories ‘on the farm’ and about how awesome his grandpa Harm was…about how many tractors you had and how once you moved a grain bin on a Tuesday afternoon just because you felt like it. He told me about how hard you worked your whole life and how you had ‘retired’ but you just couldn’t stop working because you love farming so much. I loved you even before I met you because of how much Josh loved you…but getting to spend the past seven years calling you MY grandpa too has been one of the sweetest gifts I’ve ever been given.

The time spent around your kitchen table eating lunch and drinking coffee are some of my most cherished memories. Everything is always so calm and relaxing at your farm. Sneaking up there to visit when it’s just the two (or three!) of us is our favorite because then we get you and grandma all to ourselves. We just get to sit and talk and Josh can ask you all of his farming questions. Our time together is always too short but it’s always so precious to me. The time you told the story about accidentally burning grandma’s brand-new jeans from Fleet Farm still makes me laugh when I think about it. And I love that I got to be there to watch you smile and giggle while you told us the story.

I’m not sure I know many ‘granddaughters-in-law’ who are welcomed into a family like they’ve been there all along…I’ve always felt more like your granddaughter than anything else and I am so thankful for that special love. Your big hugs and kisses on my cheek at the beginning and end of every visit are just the best.

I don’t know if you know this, but when you and Josh take off walking across the farm to go visit the cows I secretly video-tape it with my phone because you walk the exact same way. And it is so funny! You and Josh have the same cute smile and the same ornery face when you are doing something funny that you know will also get you into trouble. The work ethic you share is one of the hardest I’ve ever seen. I am so thankful for the quirky similarities I see in both of you.

The family God gave you to raise has led to such an amazing legacy and I’m thrilled that I get to play a small part in that. I’m so thankful for your 90-years and the way you’ve lived them. You are such a wonderful gift to this family, but I also wanted you to know how much of a special gift you’ve been to me. Thanks for always loving me like your own.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Mollie (and Josh and Mav)

No comments:

Post a Comment