Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Oh...it's because you're pregnant!

Mollie and Maverick at 22 weeks.

"Your hair is getting lighter. Is that because you're pregnant?"
No. It's because I haven't had my hair colored since February and it's just going back to its natural color.

"This coffee does not taste right!" - Me
"It's because you're pregnant."
No, (insert not-pregnant-person) tried the same coffee five minutes ago and also thought it tasted weird.

"Are you getting warm? It's because you're pregnant."
No. It's because it's 80 degrees outside and I've been sitting inside a super-hot/stuffy office all day. This morning when it was chilly out, I was cold and needed a cardigan.

"I think I'm getting a headache." - Me
"Ohhh is that because you're pregnant?"
No. Unfortunately, I got plenty of headaches pre-pregnancy. I sit in a desk and stare at a computer screen all day. My headaches got a little more frequent when I got pregnant, so I would MAYBE say these two things are related...but I'm NOT saying they ALWAYS DEFINITLEY ARE.

"What is that smell?- Me
"It's because you're pregnant. Your senses are heightened."
No, actually (insert not-pregnant-person) just confirmed that it does, in fact, smell bad in here.

"Your hair is getting so long! One of the perks of pregnancy!"
Actually I've been waiting around for these 'perks' to start and they just haven't...which I don't really mind since I traded getting thick hair and beautiful nails for no morning sickness...so it's whatever. My hair is getting long because I only get a trim about twice a year and Erin Hood and I have been working on making my hair long for four years now. So I hate to tell everyone, but it has nothing to do with being pregnant.

"We just really need to get this bathroom and kitchen finished before August." - Me
"I think they call that...uhhhh...nesting."
This one, came from OUR PLUMBER, bless his heart. Now, I LOVE our plumber. I text him pictures when we have toilet/dishwasher/water heater/shower problems when Josh is busy with work AND HE REPLIES AND THEN STOPS OVER TO CHECK THINGS OUT. Anyway...I feel like I need to point out, I'm a habitual nester. Have been for years. Just ask Josh. There hasn't been a day that's gone by in the past five years where I haven't spent at least a few minutes each day cleaning/crafting/organizing/rearranging/painting, etc. Actually, prior to that I spent an unhealthy amount of time and money 'nesting' each time I moved in and out of a new dorm room or apartment. Just leave Maverick out of this one...I was this crazy long before he came around.

I am not so naïve as to think pregnancy hasn't affected me at all, just read this blog post from a couple months ago. But I think I have a pretty good handle on what is Maverick-related and what's good-old, typical, Mollie.

I know there are some people who spend every waking second for 40 weeks thinking about the fact that THEY'RE PREGNANT. And there is nothing wrong with that! But I am not one of those people. I really don't think it's necessary to 'get serious' about things until AT LEAST 30 weeks. I might even put it off until week 32. At which point, I'll hopefully be able to spend some time relaxing, enjoying baby showers, making freezer meals, finishing up things at work, and adding the finishing touches to the baby room since the first 29 weeks of this thing have been absolutely insane (remind me to write a blog about that explaining how BLC exploded this year, unlike any other spring before...and not necessarily in a good way).

When I tell people we really haven't had much time to even think about being pregnant, I'm not kidding. Sure I've posted about it a lot on here since it seems to be a funny and popular topic of conversation...but in our regular day-to-day life...Josh and I really have too many other things going on to even think about it! And I think that's probably what has made the past 22 weeks go by SO FAST, which is equal parts awesome and scary. We have the rest of our lives to freak out about being parents...why waste the 40 weeks before that freaking out??

So, contrary to popular belief...not everything I say/question/comment on throughout my day in regular conversations with family/friends/acquaintances/plumbers directly relates to my being pregnant. In fact 95% of what I talk about doesn't relate at all. Just thought everyone should know. ;)

-------------------------------------------------

In other news...

I did come up with an OFFICIAL BIRTH PLAN the other day, thanks to a sweet friend over on this blog. Some health problems limited her when it came time to create one of those 'birth plans' that everyone talks about, but I'm copying hers anyway because it's genius:

HAVE A BABY.

As in...that's it. That's our plan. Step one: Have a baby..........................There is no step two. I don't know if I've read or heard a single birth-story where everything went according to the lovely typed-up plan discussed for hours on end prior to having a baby...and that usually leaves mom distraught and upset because what she pictured in her mind isn't what ended up happening and this results in a birth story posted to the World Wide Web about all the ways the plan didn't pan out.

So thanks for the head's up, veteran moms.
Not sarcasm...I'm being serious. Thanks for the head's up that nothing about pregnancy or childbirth will go according to plan...I get it. I'm embracing it. Woohoo look at me being laid back!

And you all know how I get with plans. If I have a plan, that's exactly how said plan is executed and panic and chaos ensue if things go awry...so I've decided to just head into this baby-havin' thing without one. Having zero expectations means there's nothing I can do to control anything or be upset or disappointed when things don't go according to THE PLAN.

LeeAnn, you are a wise woman and I apologize for plagiarizing your birth plan. Let's make our boys be friends.

MmB









No comments:

Post a Comment