Wednesday, February 20, 2019

9 Tips for Styling Your Home



I finished reading Joanna Gaines' 'Home Body' a couple days ago and I'm itching to get my hands on more projects around the house. I have plans to lay brick on the floor in our mudroom...shiplap a couple of random walls in the dining room...and hang an antique sliding door on a metal track between our bedroom/master bathroom.

But because it's winter and the shiplap I want to use is currently attached to the walls in our long garage...I'm stuck waiting until spring and I don't even know what to do with this new dose of February motivation. I've found myself wandering around the house in search of the next project to tackle.

So I've been styling and re-styling and swapping and editing basically every surface of our house because it's something I can do without spending any (more) money and without ever leaving the house. It all started with this antique hutch that sweet Josh Boersma let me purchase last week from JB Knacker (can I get some #praisehands for a husband who likes old stuff?!)...that combined with finishing Joanna's book, and it's kind of spiraled out of control from there. The whole time I was reading I just kept nodding along, 'yes, yes, yes...this is what I do! YES!' and I felt like a few of my little tips deserved a post.

In the past year, the styling process hasn't been an easy one for me...being in a new house with different (larger) spaces and new furniture to work with has been fun but also kind of frustrating at times. I still don't like how the top of the piano looks and I'm tempted to employ Rule #4 and dump everything on the floor and start again after I finish writing this.


First...keep it simple. Aside from Christmas, we keep things very simple in all rooms of our house. Nothing cluttering up the table (not even a centerpiece!), the counters, the buffet...nothing on end tables except lamps. This way, the focal points in the space really get their moment to shine and rooms don't feel 'overdone.' Filling every inch of wall space and every nook to the brim with decor is super overwhelming visually.

Second...let things evolve over time. The styling process is never really 'done' for me. I'm constantly moving and adjusting and playing with everything until I'm sure I love it and then in a few months I change it all again (part of this is due to my love for seasonal decor). Sometimes I just need to live with the mantle for a couple days before I can decide if I love it or hate it.

Third...don't be afraid to take risks. It's your house so you can do whatever you want, regardless of what you see in books or magazines. Those places are great for finding inspiration, but then walk away and find your own creativity. I've never once decorated a space in our house while staring at a picture on Instagram or Pinterest. I might reference a picture if I'm stuck, but even that is rare.

Fourth...if you're struggling, clear everything away and start over. Even if you really like one shelf out of the four on the bookcase, I always have way more luck when I start with a 'blank canvas.' It allows for different combinations of things and when it's all laid out I can see everything I have to work with. It's hard to keep the creative momentum going when half the stuff is decorated on a shelf and only the 'rejects'  are left on the floor.

Fifth...filling your space with more stuff shouldn't be the goal. You don't want your house to feel like you went and just bought the whole store. Any time a shelf or a mantle starts to feel too full and cluttery, I know I need to pull back and edit some things out. I'm sure my level of 'clutter' is very different from others'...for me it means I'm always walking that line between creating warm, cozy, inviting spaces, and overwhelming rooms filled with too-much-decor.

Sixth...take your time. I look at decorating and styling as more of a process that involves a lot of collecting and thoughtful purchases...all done a little at a time. Going to the store to buy the matching rug/couch/end tables/coffee table/lamps all laid out for you is easy, but it won't give you the cozy character you're looking for. I've been at this now for ten years and all of our BIG ticket items have been very slowly collected 1. Because things cost money and 2. Because it's given me more time to think-through our needs, figure out what I like, and build the look and style of our home a little at a time.

Seventh...start loving the layered look. If you're looking for cozy, I promise you layers are the way to go. Try and use lots of different finishes and textures...some old stuff you've collected and some new stuff you've snagged at the One Spot. Throw in old books or take the dust jackets off your favorite books and start stacking. Add some candles, family pictures, seasonal greenery or flowers and my favorite, antique mirrors and frames. This gives shelves, mantels and walls so much more depth than just hanging a centered picture and walking away. It's not right for every surface (seeing this on all four walls in a room would be TOO MUCH) but it can add so much unique character to a space when it's done well.

Eighth...collect items that reflect your family's personality. For us, this means mixing vintage platters with whiskey bottles on the shelf above our kitchen cabinets. Or displaying old farm accounting and record books alongside interior design textbooks. In our basement I'm hanging old black and white pictures of our hometowns and also our favorite places to visit (Waco, Galena, and Twin Lakes are the three that make the list). I hung the top of a galvanized silo straight on to the wall in our basement...because I could. Combining the unique interests of every family member and translating that into home decor is a challenge but I really think that's what makes a house a home. 

It's also a great conversation-starter when you get it right ('What's that big thing on your wall?' 'It's the top of some kind of silo/bin thing I found in the garage outside, hosed off, drilled holes, and hung on the wall.')

Ninth...loosely pay attention to trends. When the stores told me blush was going to be in style full force, I decided to love it as clothing, not as an ottoman. I try not to get too swept up in what's new on Instagram or the shelves at Target because that's exactly what they want. Figure out what you TRULY LOVE before buying into trend after trend after trend. I love gray. I love how it's warm but also neutral. I love that gray furniture hides literally everything. I love the way 50 shades of gray can somehow match each other without even trying. I know what I love, therefore I don't need anyone to tell me what's in and what's out.

Phew. That was long but I hope it was helpful to someone in some way. It's ANOTHER snow day, so I'm off to cuddle up on the couch with a book and my coffee. Also probably some cookie dough.

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment