Sunday, November 8, 2015

Does Josh Know How to Change a Diaper?


I'm not sure why, but I get this question A LOT.

And the more I think about it after it's been asked, the more it offends me, on Josh's behalf.

It's like people have a hard time picturing him as a 'dad'...because he never seemed like a 'kid-person' before...or because he's always working, so how could he possibly be around to change diapers? Josh, change diapers? It just feels like people are blatantly questioning his ability to be an amazing, hands-on daddy and I'm a little over it.

The answer is yes of course he KNOWS HOW to change diapers and obviously does so. As I said in a previous blog post...we aren't the kind of couple who bellows back and forth, "IT'S YOUR TURN TO CHANGE HIM BECAUSE I'VE BEEN DOING IT ALL DAY!" But when he's home in the evenings he usually changes Mav at least once, cuddles and burps him after he's done eating, and is a master a getting the bath water to the right temperature while I work on getting baby all naked and ready. Then we obnoxiously give Mav a bath together because his faces are too hilarious for us to miss and he's our only kid...so what else do we have to do?

I didn't even flinch when I left Maverick alone with Josh the first, second, third...umpteenth time because the man has been running a business since he was twelve. I think he can handle a tiny, easy baby for an hour or two. What's shocking is that people ask that a lot too..."Have you left him at home with Josh yet?" "What does Josh think of him?" "Where's Maverick?? Is Josh at home alone with him?"

Uhhh yea. He's his dad...why wouldn't I feel totally comfortable leaving OUR baby at home with him?

We became parents together at the exact same time...so why is it that I have some sort of magical one-up on him just because I'm the mom? We started holding, changing, bathing, and diapering a newborn baby at 12:14 pm on September 1st, so I *think* that makes him as much of a dad as it makes me a mom.

Let's all remember..I wasn't exactly a 'kid person' before having a baby either. I like my niece and nephews...but that's pretty much the extent of it. Most kids annoyed us while we enjoyed our childless life with each other, and I am pretty sure that puts us on the same playing field when it comes to being Maverick's parents.

We both agree that the majority of household and Maverick jobs fall to me since I'm the SAHM, but there is no way Josh wants to be the kind of dad who is nervous to be left at home alone with his kiddos. If you know him, you know he doesn't do anything halfway and Fatherhood is no exception to that. He's also not the most laid back man in the world, which means Maverick is probably safer and better cared for when he's on Josh's watch than mine. Seriously.

So here are a few of my favorite Maverick-Daddy moments from the past two months. ;)







MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment