Monday, September 16, 2013

What-a Weekend

Today I got home from work around 3:00 and didn't have anything on my schedule for my ENTIRE EVENING.

This rarely happens.

Leggings, moccasins, and an Iowa State hoodie were on my bod by 3:11. I'm currently drinking my third cup of cider. I've been on Pinterest for the majority of the afternoon. The windows are open and it's 68 degrees in our house. I think the only thing that could have made this afternoon better was if Josh was home to share it with me, but he's not much for Pinterest or cider, so it's probably best I've been enjoying my house fall wonderland in solitude.

We're coming down from a highly exhausting, yet insanely fun weekend. Josh's mom turns 50 this month, so I was elected to plan a big-birthday weekend at Haven 23, an adorable cabin at Twin Lakes Christian Center (where we surprised Josh's dad last year on his 50th). Patti had no idea until Friday morning that we were all gathering at the cabin to celebrate for the weekend, and once she arrived on Friday afternoon, Jillynn (Josh's sister) and I had even more exciting news to share.

After many years of dating, (and being part of the Boersma clan longer than I have!), Josh's brother, Nathan informed Jill and me last Tuesday that he wanted to ask Hannah to marry him while we were away for the weekend at camp!!! He had the ring and wanted to set up the proposal at the Round Barn at TLCC. Since he and Hannah would be coming to camp at the same time, he needed help with the set-up. He requested the round barn with some lights, a path, and candles...and we ran with it. :)

So Jill and I scrambled to add tea lights, candles, a quilt, wedding magazines, a video camera, and white lights to our looooong list of things to remember to bring to the lake for the weekend. Turns out planning a weekend like this is MUCH harder when the Queen Mother of the family is out of the planning process.

Here's a little peek of what the proposal looked like. :)


So we get another sister and have a wedding to plan. Too fun.

Weekend activities included a walk around the lake, firepitting, eating waaaaay too much, canoeing, shopping, golfing, and relaxing in our cabin, and just a lot of great family time. :)

Best quote of the weekend was when Nathan casually said, 'I love kayaking and proposing,' while we were loading up stating our favorite parts of the weekend.

Here are some other highlights...


We took some family pics on Friday night in an attempt to keep Nathan and Hannah in nice clothes leading up to the proposal instead of sweats. This part of our plan ultimately failed because Hannah ended up changing before the proposal anyway (and who can blame her...it was a 'hoodies and sweats' kind of weekend).



Josh enjoyed hot-tubbing in the whirlpool at the cabin. Even though he wished one of his brothers would have joined him like last year...


He didn't fit into the Instagram box, but Vern is actually sitting on toilet beside the tub chatting with the boys. No worries, everyone was wearing shorts and Vern was not going to the bathroom...I think last year this led to a pretty decent 'life discussion' that Josh is so notorious for having with his dad. Glad this tub provides our family with so many memories?


Brecken caught this frog all by himself while the guys spent Saturday morning golfing.


And while the boys golfed at the Twin Lakes Country Club, the girls spent the morning shopping in Fort Dodge. We are always shocked at the amazing deals to be had, and Patti found some great tall brown boots, a gray cardigan, and a rusty old wheel barrow that Vern was thrilled to have traveling home with them. I was just happy it was a successful shopping trip for the birthday girl. I told Vern in advance that I was responsible for planning, but not responsible for what said birthday girl might spend during our activities. :)

Besides some shopping, we spent part of our morning at Studio Fusion making fun bowls and plates together. The girls think that place might even be worth a trip back someday...and we're excited to see how our creations turn out! 


I had some fun comparing the picture we took at Haven two years ago to the one we took this year and I'm still trying to decide if we specifically look 'older'...Josh and I both think we've gotten a little better with age, but who really knows?


And I don't know about you, but I think we might have a current front-runner for the 2013 Boersma Christmas card picture.

MmB


No comments:

Post a Comment