Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Planning a First Birthday Party: Invites


I've decided to start documenting our first birthday party-planning adventures. I'm not sure why...because this party isn't going to be anything crazy. But I figured for future children, parties, and events...it might be easy if I just keep notes of everything right here to refer back to. Then when our kids are like, seven, I'll just tell them to read this blog for an organized history of all their parties and they can start planning their own birthday parties from start to finish (and then they'll also be reminded of how awesome I am). It's the perfect plan.

I'm told Josh's parents did this with him when he was little...they gave him a certain amount of money for a party budget and then FOR MONTHS he would write meticulous notes in a spiral notebook, planning every second of his birthday party down the last penny he had to spend. I think he and Justin ended up riding their bikes to buy donuts and Mountain Dew (because that was cheaper than going out to eat somewhere or buying a birthday cake). It was just the two of them because they knew if they kept the party small, they would have more to spend on activities. I'm not sure what else they did, but it's a memory they seem fond of, so I figure we can try the same thing with our kids. 

Maverick's first birthday party will heavily resemble this baby shower. It's not like he will ever know the difference. And the crafting and decorating that was done for all our baby showers was given to us to keep...I AM SO THANKFUL! This is how much crafting I'll be doing for this party...zero.

I started with the invites and sent them out plenty early because fall gets busy for everyone and because we are including specific gift instructions for our dear family members. But I'll get to that in a minute. I like the invitations to 'match' the party theme and decor...I didn't want to have to create them in Publisher (I can fake it pretty good but I'm not a professional so it takes me a whiiiiile to get something the way I like it). It was Tiny Prints FTW with this simple 'chalkboard' inspired invite...I was already planning to use our house chalkboards to write stuff about our sweet little one-year-old...so it made sense.

The whole process took me about 20 minutes and cost about $20. Works for me.


In the meantime, I had my clever mother working on a poem to include with the invitations about gifts. We do not have room for numerous large plastic toys, bouncers, big trucks, slides, play houses, walking toys, life-size super heroes, yard toys, etc...we just don't have room. Josh and I agree that we would rather buy Maverick the toys it seems like he's interested in/ready for in his development on an as-needed basis and cut out the excessive and unnecessary birthday and Christmas toy shopping/spending by family members. 


But do you know what he can never have too many of?? BOOKS! This cute little rhyme was included as an extra note I printed out on a 'chalkboard background' I found on Pinterest.


Just one small request from the birthday boy...
Please bring a book, instead of a toy.
Colorful plastic "stuff" he has plenty...
As for shirts and pants, Dad says there's too many!
So with a little help from Maverick's mom...

You'll find his "Library Wish List" on Amazon.
Or perhaps an old storybook from out of your past...
One that you've loved, a classic that lasts.
We'd ask that you sign it, so we know it's from you...
And even more special? Include a note too!
By signing your book we'll remember and share...
Your special gift, even when you're not there.
Your book will be cherished, well-loved and a treasure...
If you'll celebrate with us, we'll be blessed beyond measure!

I love that with the card stock cards from Shutterfly and TinyPrints, you can choose a layout and design the back of the card too...sometimes it's too hard to pick just ONE picture for things like this (and especially for our Christmas card!) and adding pictures to the back makes that a lot easier.

Call me controlling or obsessive compulsive...I'm allowing one 'extra' gift from our parents because I'm not a complete monster. But it seems less overwhelming this way. I don't want to wander around our house after the party is over wondering where in the heck I'm going to put all the 'stuff' Maverick was given. Grandma Boersma told me a few weeks ago she brought TWO new babies home to a 36x8 foot trailer and actually enjoyed the set up before they moved into a much larger house. We have so much more space and stuff than we need...it's my goal to limit the kid junk coming into our house as much as possible during these little years. 

The grandparents and great grandparents are all invited over for lunch before the party, and that was the other little note I included with the invite. We wanted to have a little extra time with our parents and grandparents before things get crazy with aunts, uncles, and cousins for the party at 4:00. I also wanted Maverick to get in a good afternoon nap, and this allows for all of that to happen.

And that's step one of our party planning endeavors! We're excited and can't BELIEVE how fast this year has gone.

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment