Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Jamie's Sweet Potato Hash


Far be it for me to ever give anyone cooking "advice"...but this "recipe" is just too darn good to keep to my own kitchen.

I like that it's healthy. I like that it's colorful. I like that it actually TASTES GOOD. I like that we can literally eat it for breakfast, lunch, an afternoon snack, supper, or a late-night snack. I like that it's EVEN BETTER as leftovers the next day. I like that it's 'open to interpretation' because anything involving exact-ness and precise measurements is just not allowed anywhere within 100 feet of my kitchen (I'd say 100 ft of my house, but we have quarter-round to finish and I'm told that will require some measuring, not my usual 'eyeball' method). I cannot work with anything that has too many steps and MUST be completed in a certain order. Gosh, just typing that makes me roll my eyes with disdain. Who can work under those kind of demands?!

Apparently a lot of people, but whatever.

It's funny I'm calling it 'my kitchen' in this post because I've never taken professed to have too much ownership in there. It's 'the kitchen' or 'our kitchen'...but I suppose since I spent the morning chopping and prepping for supper (at 9am, I don't even know who I AM today) and it's where my coffee lives, I should start claiming it as my own.

Anyway. Here goes.

Prep time: 30 minutes+ (depends on how efficient you are at chopping/multi-tasking)
Dishes dirtied: 6 (again, depends on your efficiency)
Serves: 4 people if you want leftovers, 6 people if you want the whole pan eaten.

Spray a 9x13 pan. Jamie always foils hers but I'm not sure what that does and I ran out of foil the last time so I've made it without and it's exactly the same. See? There are NO RULES.


Chop 4-6 sweet potatoes (make it as big or small as you want to make it).
Throw in a bowl.
Add whatever kind of oil you use in your house, lots of salt + pepper, stir.
Dump across the bottom of the pan.


Brown meat (sausage is our favorite but anything will work).
Add salt+pepper+minced onions+anything else you like for spices/flavor.
Dump the meat on top of the sweet potatoes.


Chop veggies (we like onions, mushrooms, colorful peppers but you can use whatever you like/have).
Sautee veggies if you feel like it/have time.
Dump those on top of the meat.

Another thing I love about this meal...you can make it the day before and throw it in whenever you're ready. It makes an AWESOME freezer meal. Or you can prep it and put it in the oven right away too. It's good no matter what you do to it. It can't be ruined, as evidenced by my profession of love for it.

If it's being prepped and cooked on the spot, 350 for 30-45 minutes.
If it's coming out of the fridge after being prepped in advance, 350 degrees for 45 minutes-an hour.
It's it's been in the freezer, it *can* be thrown right in the oven but it will take an hour or more...I like to pull it out as soon as I remember on the day I've planned for it to be our supper. So if you put it in the oven frozen, you might have to poke around to check the sweet potatoes after the 1-hour mark to see when they're 'done' however you prefer your sweet potatoes.



While it's in the oven, during the final 15-ish minutes, beat up some eggs. 6-12 depending on how much you like eggs and how many you have in your fridge. I usually like to do 8-ish per 9x13.
Scramble.
Layer on top once the hash comes out of the oven.
(I never freeze with the eggs on it...always adding them after the oven seems like a better choice)

Pile your plate high, sprinkle some (or a lot of) parmesan cheese on top and ENJOY!

MmB


No comments:

Post a Comment