Thursday, May 18, 2017

Backyard MAKEOVER Pt. 2

This is now my happiest place. Picture a margarita in my hand and the twinkling lights and now you 'get it.'
Where did we leave off yesterday? Oh right...you're dying to know how in the world I managed to spend $500 on such a small, seemingly 'acceptable' space. I tell you what...it's easier than you might think.

I wanted to note too...I REALLY think about something before I buy it. Especially BIG somethings. This storage bench has been on my radar and 'wish' list for over a year and Josh FINALLY saw the need and agreed we needed to drop a hundred bucks on it. Sometimes that's what it takes, but I'm super happy I took the time to think it through, plan where it would go, and be fully confident THIS would be the perfect solution to our outdoor storage needs. It doubles as seating which is a HUGE bonus after getting rid of the table and chairs we had on our deck for the past seven years. So it's usually a good idea to think through those bigger ticket items, but eventually it might mean spending $100, causing the project budget total to bounce up a little bit.

Living here has always been a 'temporary' idea...though we've never been sure of a timeline. In an effort to be content in the meantime, but also be wise about what we do to this house and what we should/shouldn't spend money on...I like to make smart, inherently useful purchases that can come WITH us when/if we ever decide to move. This bench is one of those things (this is also why FINALLY purchasing and installing new fans in our kitchen and living room took us seven years to accomplish ;).




Cost Breakdown
  • Pallets: Free (thanks BLC!)
  • Threshold Hunter Green Outdoor Pillows (6): Purchased on sale at $8/each four years ago (originally $30!)
  • Rust-O-Leum Grill Cover: $30 (from Lowe's)
  • Decorative Trays: Free (Melissa and Doug toy 'boxes'...unused in the house, serve a great purpose out here!)
  • Cutter Bug Candle: $6 (from Target)
  • RE Brand Outdoor Lights: $12.99/each (from Target, we used four strands and try to buy replacement bulbs + fuses to keep them going more than one year)
  • Plastic Storage Bench: $100 (from Sam's Club)
  • Threshold Black and White Outdoor Rug: $16.99 (Target sale)
  • Gray Linen Outdoor Bench Sofa Cushions: $95 total (purchased from At Home during a buy one, get one half off sale)
  • Threshold Striped Outdoor Blanket: $15
  • Miscellaneous Décor: Free! (borrowed from the 'unused pile' inside the house)
  • Olympic 3-Year Deck Seal: $35 (took three cans, and I purchased this last year to this is an estimate)
  • Oil Base Stain Brushes: $10 (estimate, purchased last year)
  • Duck Cloth/Drop Cloth Fabric: $10 (from Lowe's)
  • Staples: $5 (Ace Hardware)
  • White Wicker End Table: Purchased at a garage sale last year, $10?
  • Barn Door: 'Free' from our 1880 barn
  • Screen Door: Free from a curb
  • Hostas in Landscaping: Free (splitting from someone who has too many big ones is a great idea!)


I won't go into what I spent on pots and plants this year...that's probably a separate blog post...something about 'Gardening for BEGINNERS' but let me just say...watering my cute little plants with Maverick's pool water *might* be my new favorite thing. I don't love the planting part, and I refuse to have a garden that requires ANY time spent 'weeding' but I do love what they look like when they're growing/blooming. Just GIVE ME ALL THE SUCCULENTS.

I'm also not including the cost of Mav's outdoor toys in this little analysis...from the pool to the water table to the slide I plan to purchase any day...I'm leaving all that out. Just know, 1/3 came from hand-me-downs/garage sales, 1/3 came to us as either birthday or Christmas gifts, and 1/3 I purchased after observing and researching and deciding what would be a good toy for this age/space, etc.

After spending five minutes in the backyard with Maverick AFTER this little makeover, it was clear the time and money spent on this project was necessary and GOOD. It took some convincing for Josh to understand why we were getting rid of the table and chairs (he's a creature of habit, that one) but I think he secretly loves cuddling outside on our couch at the end of a long day. And I loooooove spending naptimes out there reading, folding laundry, listening to podcasts and of course...getting some sun. I've said it before and I'll say it again...we need our house to work hard for us with everything we have happening here...from the business to Maverick to my hobbies to entertaining and hospitality...and I think I finally accomplished that for our backyard space.

So not the cheapest renovation in the world  (certainly not the most expensive, either!)...semi-unexpected...but we're really happy with it and excited to spend our summer out here with each other, and our wonderful friends and family. :)

Tomorrow I'll share some crazy before and after pics. These posts got too long to truly show the renovation in all its ugly before and beautiful after glory. So brace yourself for those.

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment