Thursday, June 30, 2016

10 times I was a laid back mom and totally felt like I was #winning


Some of you may not know this, but I'm fairly Type A.

I like the bathroom door closed so I can't see a toilet while I'm eating supper. I cannot STAND wet towels being left on the floor. I like being put-together and on time for church. I spend most nap times picking up/cleaning the house.

Then there are things when it comes to Maverick...and child-raising in general...that I'm so laid back I can hardly stand it. I really feel like I've overcome something here you guys. Sure there isn't a speck of grass on my kitchen floor but my kid accidentally drank some lake water last weekend and I didn't even bat an eye. WHO AM I?!

1. It all started at Christmas with Josh's extended family. Maverick was laying next to me watching Home Alone and some sweet cousins were lovin' on him a little too hard. Bopping his little legs back and forth and all around kind of rough. He wasn't in any real danger, their parents weren't around to tell them to knock it off, and he didn't seem mind...it was just vaguely kind of annoying. Guess who was all calm and cool about it? This mom. Then Uncle Charlie told them to stop it and I was secretly like...'thankyouthankyouthankyou' but on the outside I seemed reallllll laid back.

2. This week Maverick has eaten:
    - A stick
    - Some grass
    - Sand at the lake
    -A crunchy leaf
    -Some cardboard from a paper towel tube I let him play with
I'm a boy mom raising a boy! Eat more stuff off the ground Maverick, see if I care!

3. One of Josh's friends from High School came for a visit a couple weeks ago and I believe she has three under four (bless). Her middle kiddo who is 2+ kept climbing into Maverick's baby bouncer, he was obviously too big, and being a little rough...but I didn't move a muscle or say a word (she's a rock star and can obviously handle it). I just sat and drank my coffee, peacefully savoring every minute that my child is not yet mobile.

4. Mav and I are on the go a lot...we stick to a nice schedule but I have no problem popping up his pack'n'play wherever we are if a nap needs to happen. During Nikki's bridal shower? He napped in the church office with a sign on the door that said, "Baby Mav is Sleeping." Decorating for said shower a couple days before? I set up his bed and noise app in the corner of the room I was decorating, covered him with a blanket and got back to work. Hashtag. Boom.

5. This is pretty much all I hear at our house for the past ten months, "Is he too hot? Is he too cold? Why is he crying? Are you sure he's comfortable? I think the sun is in his eyes. We need one of those window covers to keep the sun out of his eyes. Why is he coughing? Did you just hear him cough in his room? Is he choking? We should go check on him. Is his room too cold? His feet are cold I think he needs socks. Check the water before he gets in the tub, is it too hot? *repeat*repeat*repeat*" - Josh

Want to know my answer to all of these?
"No, he's fine."

One of us has to at least pretend to be laid back.

Minutes before the lake water incident that had me gagging and scarred for life. 

6. It's no secret Maverick is petite for his age. G'mas get all bent out of shape about how much and when and what babies eat...I guess it's just a thing for all grandmas everywhere. At our last appointment, it became obvious that Maverick has invented his own growth curve. Way to go buddy! He's tracking right along a nice curve...just slightly below most babies his age. I don't even mind! Growth curve, schmoth curve. His clothes fit longer and he's waaaay easier to carry around.

7. At about two or three months when I started to establish a real nap schedule instead of just letting him sleep when and where he wanted...I'd plop him in the crib, give him a quick swaddle, say "happy nappy Maverick!" and leave the room. This hasn't always gone as smoothly as it does these days and every. time. my mom was around listening to him cry she would say things like, "Whenever you're ready to give in, I'll go in and get him for you."

I don't give in. I win this game every time.

And now I have a champion napper! WOO!

8. As Maverick has started to work on going mobile...he's hit a phase where he's back to toppling over every so often. And no amount of pillows propped up behind his back (JOSH) will save him from it because of the way he changes direction and scoots around on his bottom. I think he's bonked his head three times this week on my watch and once on Josh's. Our reactions are significantly different:

"Ooops! You went bonk on the deck!" -Me
(so you don't think I'm super mean, I do pick him up for cuddles until he's done crying)

"BUDDY I'M SO SORRY! Baaabe he just hit his head really hard on the floor!" -Josh
"That's how they learn." - Me

9. Some parents get all emotionally attached to their children's hair. Not this first-time-momma. When the kid needed a haircut...he needed a haircut. He looked homeless. He's had two already and he'll be getting his third one soon.

10. When Maverick is around older kids, friends, cousins, etc. and kid's will occasionally take his toys away...just watch me sit back and not even care. Why? Because he's not old enough to care yet! I just give him something different to play with and he's just as happy as can be. If parents are around, usually they'll say, "Don't take that toy away from the baby, give it back!" But if they don't? I'm, like, super cool with it. It's just building character.

I will say...I am not laid back about naps and bedtime. I do not mess around with an overtired baby for reasons like shopping, fireworks, errands...even trips or holiday's with family. No but's about it, just not how we roll for this baby/toddler season. To make sure I'm not totally crazy, I texted a friend this week to ask how she handles fireworks with her 2-year-old and she said, "He's never seen them. I don't think I'll keep him up for them until he's at least 4." And I was like...*praisehands*praisehands*praisehands* "PREACH."

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment