Friday, February 14, 2014

Shower Planning 101

I recently had a realization that for the foreseeable future, because of the stage of life I'm in...planning baby showers, wedding showers and personal showers are inevitable. So I've decided I better get good at it. With a house to host, and a knack for crafting, I actually find myself volunteering for these kinds of things (as long as there is another capable co-host to handle the food, because we all know that's where I fall short).

In the upcoming six months I will have helped, planned, hosted, or attended SEVEN shower-esque gatherings...which is a lot. The weddings have slowed down a bit, but it seems the baby train our friends are on isn't stopping anytime soon. Which means it's time to buckle down and start pinning adorable boy/girl themed showers. :)

Last month I had the opportunity to help plan/decorate for a baby shower at my home church for a dear friend from high school, his wife, and their new baby Noah!


What I love about my home-church is that it's. a. family. It's grown a LOT since I left home, but seriously. These women know what's up when it comes to planning and hosting showers. Julie (far left) and I started talking about throwing a shower for Michael and Lauren back in October, and with weather, and holiday's, and baby appointments, January 11th was when we finally got it on the calendar. I can't even believe how blessed I am to have been raised in a church family that comes together so easily when it's time for weddings and babies...and I loved being able to play a part in the shower-planning back home.

On to the important stuff... :)

Colors: Mint green, gray, navy, tan (I'm a firm believer that the 'baby-blue' theme is too overdone)
Food: Brunch: Egg bake, muffins, fresh fruit cups, orange juice, coffee
Committee: 10 + ladies, 25 women total attended
Decorating Expense: $20.00

Here's a look at how we handled set-up/food/decor:

Most of the decorations I gathered from my house...blue Mason jars, twine, glitter pine-cones, Scrabble letters, burlap...and I just printed some big letters from Pinterest to spell the 'Noah' banners.


I have a hard time 'buying' decorations for showers because it's a one-time ordeal, and it can get super expensive. That's why I find it best to buy onesies (on sale) and a package of diapers to double as decorations AND as a gift the couple can take home after the shower.


I don't want to say I bought these mint pants just for this shower-hosting occasion... but it may have been a factor in my final purchasing decision. It only made sense to match the theme!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment