Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Brief (Pathetic) Tutorial on Making Invitations

Not everyone knows this, but in my spare time I moonlight as a dreadfully inexperienced graphic designer. I have a BA in Art and Design so I'd like to have something to show for it every once in a while...or Josh starts to complain about how the only thing I went to college for was to get my MRS degree and find a husband to marry...which is actually about 85% true and I'm not ashamed. NOT ashamed.

To date, I've successfully created wedding invites, invites for parties at work, baby shower invites, Thanksgiving save-the-dates, and of course...personal shower/wedding shower/bachelorette party invites. Just a  sampler platter of everything anyone would ever wanted to be invited to...

So today, I'm sharing how someone as Photo-Shop challenged as, me manages to pull of pretty dang adorable invitations...


They're cute right?!

Step 1: Search for some Pin-spiration. I found a number of invites I liked on Pinterest, pinned them to my 'SHOWERING Friends with Gifts' board, and started to form a theme. The theme for the shower starts with the theme on the invitation, so I like to make sure everything is cohesive and consistent from beginning to end.

Step 2: Realize that, 'Oh I can  buy these from someone on Etsy! Wow! Maybe I should do that because they are cuter and not that expensive and NO BAD IDEA I can make these myself and it will be way cheaper (because admit it, people are just going to throw them away so having a paper bustier covered with crystals and laced with ribbon for a bachelorette invite isn't really necessary).

Step 3: Copy (as best you can) the exact invite you found on Pinterest in Microsoft Publisher. I'm much more comfortable with Publisher because it's comes in the Microsoft Suite...which means it's not a flobbity-gillion dollars like the Adobe Suite and Adobe Photo-Shop. Also, I used Publisher a lot in high school for yearbook/newspaper/school projects, so I'm just more familiar with the program. Judge me all you want amazing Photo-Shop users...THIS is as good as it gets when I'm in charge of invitations.

Step 4: Print the invites in color and cut them apart. I usually tie some twine around mine or toss some glitter in the envelope for some added pizazz. Then stuff, stamp, address, and seal them while watching The Bachelor on Monday night at 7:00.

MmB



No comments:

Post a Comment