Monday, January 13, 2014

New Year's Resolutions and Other Stuff...

It's been exactly one month since I've touched this blog. First things first...

In a follow-up to this blog, I'd like everyone to know that I successfully located the Title to our 2003 Ford Focus. It was in a file labeled 'Important Vehicle Info' in our filing cabinet...and I had simply overlooked it. Here I was thinking I'd lost my organized touch, and as it turns out, I STILL GOT IT. #boom

While I'm on the topic of organization...I successfully scheduled Josh a chiro appointment this week (patting myself on the back) AND I'm looking into getting wills written up now that we consider ourselves to be business and real estate moguls...we have a mini-empire, really.

If you didn't pick up on it, that last sentence was a joke. Isn't that what famous people like Jay-Z and Kanye and Diddy are called? Moguls? We aren't famous African Americans, but I fancy myself to be a pretty talented rapper, and we own our own business and two houses...so it sort of works, right?

Anyway, New Year's Resolutions in 2014 for the Boersma's are as follows:

1. Be more ACTIVE. More walks together, more time on the elliptical (Mollie), more jogging (Josh) less sitting in front of the TV.

2. Stick to a BUDGET. Keep up with personal finances on Mint.com, save more, pay off more debt.

3. VACATION. We haven't taken a legit vacation since our honeymoon. There have been a couple weekend trips for out-of-state weddings here and there, but no family-less all-inclusive vaca for just US. And we need it after the past three months we've had.

4. Clear out CLUTTER. Go through totes in the basement, all five closets, sell unnecessary equipment in the garage, simplify.

5. Create more BALANCE in our schedules. We haven't been to Connection Group or spent time with friends in months. We've gotten in some GREAT family time with everyone pitching in at the farm and spending the holiday's together, but we miss our peeps. Gotta get back to lunch/coffee dates, fire pits, and hosting game nights.

Josh would include on this list that buying a lake house is his goal this year, but I'll be honest...that one is slightly unrealistic. Plus it will be a while before we're ready to take on another fixer-upper (which is the only style of lake house we can imagine affording) and our parents have informed us that they all need some time off. Preferably a year to recuperate after all the weekends they've spent painting and sanding and cleaning...considering they're all over 50, we've decided to grant them this request. :)

In other news...Google Calendar Reminders have become my new BFF4L. I make Google Events for the normal stuff (ie: cheer practice, basketball games, connection group, family events), but I've started making reminders for meal plans and inviting Josh so he knows when I'll be away at a wrestling meet and he's on his own for supper. I've even gone so far as to send Josh a calendar reminder when I notice his beard is getting a little longer than I prefer and I send him a 'Shave Your Beard' reminder.

TIP FOR THE WEEK: I'd suggest buying a broken-down farmhouse instead of counseling if you'd like to work on communication skillz in your marriage. It has a better return on your investment and basically accomplishes the same thing. ;)


MmB


No comments:

Post a Comment