Monday, December 2, 2013

#imabirthdayprincess

It seems completely inappropriate that I haven't gotten around to blogging about one of my favorite things in life...MY BIRTHDAY...until December 2nd, but better late than never, right? Here are a few highlights from my birthday week celebration AND and a small update on what we accomplished at the house during that week.

Monday of birthday week was celebrated by going shopping for my birthday present with Jamie. She bought me this adorable pillow that looks perfect on our magical Christmas bed. I ended the evening with a visit from my BFF Nikki and a bottle of Prairie Moon wine...the perfect way to kick off birthday week.


On Tuesday I got to see some friends at Connection Group, which was fun, but missed Josh being there because he was working. I like having a birthday week because people start to forget when my actual birthday is, give up, and just wish me happy birthday all week long. This has been part of my master plan from the beginning.

On Wednesday THIS arrived at the office for me which was a surprise for a couple of reasons...1) It was Wednesday and technically not my birthday and 2) Jamie has no money and she STILL sent me flowers. What-a-sis. 


Thursday was extra-fun because my best-friend-since-2nd-grade-Erryn and her husband Sean came up to Ames for our annual birthday celebration supper. I had grand plans to take them to The Cafe, but when the wait was 45 minutes, we ended up where we always do...Hickory Park. :) Erryn's birthday is on the 18th, so we've made a big deal about our birthday's since our first sleepover in 2nd grade when I had Erryn over but she left at 8:00pm because she didn't want to spend the night. Which was actually some sort of weird foreshadowing because with their hectic work/school schedules, Erryn and Sean usually like to end our dinner dates by 8pm so they can get home and get to bed. ;) It was a great night and we need to fit them into our schedules more!

Aaaaaaaand Friday. The grand finale. My dad called me at 7am to sing Happy birthday; Josh's dad texted the words, 'Have a fantabulous day' (hahahaha Vern); Nikki and Peter Seehusen BOTH called to sing Happy Birthday over the phone in it's entirety (note: neither are known for their singing talents, so this was pretty special); everyone at C21 wished me happy birthday, cheerleaders wished me happy birthday, my fellow cheer coaches/friends got me a Starbucks gift card, my boss Tami got me a scarf (she knows me so well); a voicemail from G'ma Junice; and to really make the day, JOSH BOUGHT ME FLOWERS!!! My husband has never gotten me flowers in the three and a half years that we have been married, so this was a big deal. In fact, when Stacey brought them back to my desk she said, 'Are they from Josh?' and I said, 'Oh no they have to be from my parents, Josh doesn't buy me flowers,' and SURPRISE! He even specifically asked for a hydrangea to be in the bouquet because he knows that's my favorite flower. :)


My birthday present from Josh this year was an iPad in July and a car that came a couple weeks after my birthday...both of which were totally over-the-top, undeserved, and wonderful because I have a husband who goes all out, or would say it's not worth doing at all. This is a pretty good example of that. ;)

We went to Old Chicago for birthday supper and then to the movie About Time which was REALLY GOOD! Josh even liked it...probably because of the touching father-son twist at the end. It wasn't what I expected for a romantic-comedy, but it was still really good.

Just when you thought birthday week ended on Friday...just kidding! We partied hard all weekend long. And the partying hard consisted of guilting as many people as possible into helping work at the farm in honor of my birthday. :) Nikki and Kate got up early on a rainy Saturday morning to come help paint, along with both my mother and father-in law and Jamie. We primed 'The Great Room' together in the morning and Kurt and Jill joined in the fun during the afternoon. I reward everyone with Casey's pizza when they come help, so let me know if you're interested...I'm convinced that at this point, we are the ones keeping the doors open at Casey's in Huxley we've ordered so much pizza in the past month. 

Saturday night was birthday celebration with the Boersma side thanks to Vern and Applebee's. My sister-in-law crocheted me a red infinity scarf and hat and Vern and Patti gave me money for the brown boots I bought back in September as my early birthday gift from them. ;) 

Sunday meant more work at the farm finishing trim on the bedrooms upstairs, and touching up places where we missed in the stairway. My parents visited both of my G'mas that day and swung back through Ames for my final birthday supper and presents at Noodles and Company. I got a serving bowl that matches my Christmas dishes and Sarah Palin's new book about Christmas...which I am planning to crack open today. :)

Of course I love getting presents and feeling special during my birthday week...but the most special gift this year has been all the help we've been getting at the farm from friends, and especially our family. Both sets of parents have been RELENTLESS in coming every weekend to help. There hasn't been a single weekend since October 18th that we haven't had one or both sets of parents helping on Saturday or Sunday or both...which is pretty amazing. Our siblings have all pitched in to help and people keep congratulating us on how great the place is looking and how much work we've accomplished and it's totally NOT US. We wouldn't have 1/4 of the work on this farmhouse done if it weren't for our families...I know I am in the minority when it comes to the amazing relationship I have with my in-laws but that's become even more clear in the past couple months. So this is just one big THANK YOU FAMILY. We are so blessed and so thankful for ALL OF YOU.

Here's what upstairs bedroom #1 looked like after birthday week...

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment