Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Lazy Avocado Toast



I've been to the Magnolia Table myself, and I can honestly say, this "recipe" that I "made up" rivals Joanna's avocado toast creation. And I can say that because I've had both.

I call this 'lazy' avocado toast because, weirdly enough, avocado toast has a lot of steps. There's just a lot happening in the kitchen all at the same time when I make it so I've tried to simplify each 'thing' as much as possible. Because making a quick healthy lunch shouldn't take 50 minutes. 

And you'll probably all out laugh at my guac portion of the recipe. I don't care.

What you need:
2-3 eggs
1 piece of wheat bread
Avocado
2-3 strips of bacon
Minced onion
Garlic salt
Pepper
Lime juice
Goat cheese (optional)

Cut/mash up the avocado in a small bowl. This is the part that takes the longest. Throw in more garlic salt + minced onion + lime juice, more than you think you need. I have no 'measurement' for this. Some people chop red onions into tiny perfect pieces for their guac, but those people are overachievers. If you use enough minced onion, you get a little crunch and all the onion flavor you need in the 10 seconds it takes to shake the bottle. Stir/mash it all up.

Start frying the eggs. However you like them. I always throw some garlic salt + pepper on ours.

While the eggs are frying lay the bacon on a plate, on top of a paper towel. Cover with another paper towel and put in the microwave for 1-3 minutes, depending on how crunchy you like your bacon. I usually do a minute and a half. Bacon in the oven is yummy, but bacon in the microwave is faster. Faster wins.

Throw a piece of toast in your toaster. 

At this point bacon + eggs + toast are all happening at the same time, the gruc is made, and the whole thing will be done in less than three minutes from here!

Now it's time to build your toast masterpiece...this is my favorite part. Start with the piece of toast, then strips of bacon, then stack your eggs. Smear as much guac as you'd like on top. Go where the Spirit leads you on this, guac is good for your soul. I like to finish my toast off with some crumbled goat cheese on top; however, goat cheese is a HARD PASS from Josh...which is why that particular ingredient is labeled as 'optional.' 

This is perfect for breakfast, lunch, and even supper. It's good as a mid-afternoon snack if you didn't remember to eat breakfast. I'd make it every day if avocado's weren't so finicky and it didn't take so long to make. It takes some practice to get good at making it for a crowd, but I've found they don't mind the waiting so much when the outcome is the best toast of their lives.

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment