Monday, October 3, 2016

The Party Plague


I know I'm not the only one deep in the trenches of the constant barrage of parties and products being pushed through my social media screen. But in recent years it's become too much for me to bear. Like...TOO. MUCH.

So please don't take offense when I say this...

I will not attend, buy, browse, online host, host, or sell any of the stuff you're peddling...not now...not ever.

I have been averaging TWO PARTY INVITES A WEEK for the past month. These things range from skin care to jewelry to leggings. I've been invited to gatherings by people from high school who I haven't talked to in 10 years. Former co-workers. Ladies in my "mom-tribe." I have even had to tell my own sisters 'no' when they start selling something new or host a party...that is how you KNOW I'm not being biased.

I just had to make a rule for myself...the answer is always no. Plain and simple.

I don't know if it's my age or generation or what...but I used to go to every Scentsy, Thirty-One, Signature Homestyle party that came my way. Sometimes it's fun to see friends and chat...but more often than not it was out of obligation. Whether it was obligation the host felt to 'host' a party for the friend who just started selling LulaRoe, or the obligation I felt to the friend who was hosting...it's kind of just all unnecessary. Do I really need another large utility tote? Nah...two are probably enough. Do I really need an expensive necklace with my anniversary stamped on it? That's one thing I can remember pretty easily...so it's cute, but probably not.

I'm likely an easy target for this kind of stuff because most people assume I'm a social girl who enjoys a party with friends and snacks and household decor (you're not exactly wrong), but after a while, I realized I was going to these things twice a month (or more!) and spending money that didn't need to be spent. This summer when the party invites hit an all-time high...I made a sweeping declaration that I would not be hitting this product-party-scene ever. again.

I'm not saying that the people who sell this stuff are wrong or dumb or the stuff they sell is crap. I'm not saying that at all. Some of it is even being sold for good causes! I know a gal who started selling so she could give her profits to an orphanage in Africa. GO HER! I just know, for me, spending $120 on a necklace I don't need (and for no special occasion) IS wrong. And dumb. And I can buy my fall candles at TJ Maxx for $5.99 instead of going to a candle party, succumbing to the 'deal' they're offering and then accidentally end up spending $60.

Can I also just make one other observation that I feel like someone needs to make? The last party I went to was attended by mostly SAHM's. Here we all were...blessed our husbands work hard so we can stay home with our babies...and here we were, spending their hard-earned money on feathery necklaces and clutches and $24 studs that I could buy at Target for $9.99. I know everyone's situation is different and I'm honestly not seeking to judge anyone here...but I felt a little convicted about the whole thing. Of course momma's deserve a night out, an afternoon 'off,' to recharge their batteries...but I couldn't help feeling a little guilty that my husband (who had also just worked a 12-hour day) was home feeding Maverick and putting him to bed while I was out browsing the latest Stella and Dot fashions. The more rampant these purse/candle/dresses/leggings/beachbody/skin care/bag/jewelry/oils/decor/children's book parties become...the MORE I feel that way. And that's why it's become easier to just say no to it all. No to best friends. No to sisters. No to strangers who try to add me to their ItWorks page on Instagram. Saying no to unnecessary events and expenses has become, like...my new favorite thing. And I'm getting really good at it.

Maybe it's just me...if it is, everyone carry on with your parties as you've been accustomed. But I will not be joining you...so for the love, PLEASE stop adding me to your eye lash group and then sending 97 notifications.

MmB

1 comment:

  1. Amen. I decided the same thing a couple years ago. It's not my jam.

    ReplyDelete