Wednesday, June 11, 2014

My Style

What a joke.

In the past six months I've started to pretend that I have some style, since I discovered the Gap Factory store in Ames, so I just copy what I see on manikins and also Lauren Conrad. But first, let me explain my pathetic fashion evolution:

In high school, I had silver jeans and some screen print shirts from Target. In college, I had sweat pants and ISU hoodies and fake Ugg boots. From 2010 to mid-2013, I pretty much wore the same five dress shirts in rotation with the same dress pants and the same black cardigan depending on the time of year.

It's not something I'm proud of.

And the fact that Lauren Cotting's has badgered me to the point where I'm willing to write a style blog for her shows how much I value her friendship. She talked me into this one as well.

Anyway, I thought I'd pull out the 10 best pieces from my closet to share.

The black blazer.

I've been in search of the perfect black blazer for about two years. I wanted to find one that wasn't too casual, but not too dressy, not too bulky/long/awkward, the perfect fit, length, fabric, etc...seriously, every time I was in a store, I'd search for a blazer, just to see if I'd happen upon the perfect one. It found me last month. Lauren Conrad Collection. Kohl's. 30% off. $28 (orig. $70). It was the only one on the whole rack and it was my size. A little blazer miracle.

The nude flats.

Spring. Summer. Fall. Winter. Black. Navy. Brown. White. They're all-around, 100% perfect. $19.99 at Target will get you a pair that will cause blisters for the first six months of wear, but after that it's smooth sailing. I'm not saying they're the best pair out there, but they're cute and cheap (sale price is $16.99). Making the temporary heel owies worth it.

Nude flats could also be replaced with nude heels (I'd recommend Lauren Conrad Collection for Kohl's, $39.99), but I'm only allowed to wear those when Josh isn't around because he loses the two inches he has on me and it changes our whole dynamic and things just get weird when I'm taller.


Nude flats + skinnies + V-neck. Cute and comfy and most important EASY.

The perfect skinny jeans.

Jeans are so weird. They go up too high, they fall down, they get stretched out, the crotch is too big, the legs are too tight, the waist isn't tight enough...does anyone else fight this battle? I've found the best place to find skinny jeans is at Gap. Specifically on the 30%-off-already-reduced-prices rack. $11 (orig. $60), yes please.

The black V-neck tee.

I swear color exists in my wardrobe, but my 'staple' items tend to be black because black goes with everything. Gold, silver, blue scarves, coral necklaces, denim jackets. I used to think the perfect black V-neck existed at Target for $8.99, but then I realized that an even better V-neck exists at the Gap Factory for $6.99 (orig. $14.99). You're welcome.

The comfy cardigan.

The magic of the cardigan is something I didn't discover until January of this year. I found a heather gray one at the Gap Factory store (sensing a common theme?), bought one for $14.99 (orig. $29.99) and proceeded to WEAR IT ALL THE TIME. In case you were wondering, gray also goes with everything. These cardigans are long enough to wear with leggings, casual enough to wear over t-shirts and V-necks, and dressy enough to wear over a pretty shirt to church.

Three staples at once, leggings + V-neck + cardigan.

The little black dress.

There are approximately six LBD's in my closet...however, one is too big, two are too small, and three are perfect. Sometimes having an assortment is necessary, okay? Either way, black dresses also go with everything and they can be worn anywhere. Funerals, cruises, weddings, dates, dinners, bachelorette parties, church, vacation...literally. Anywhere. And since these dresses are always out in full force on the back wall at Target (usually $39.99) I stalk them like a lion stalks a gazelle in the African desert until they are $20 or less on the sale racks. In case you don't have Target's sale tricks up your sleeve, read this for more of their secrets. Bottom line, search end aisles and look for prices that end in .#4!

The puffy vest.

Covering the 10 best pieces for every season is difficult, but I can't leave out the puffy vest. I'd actually recommend one in gray, black, or white...or just one of each since puffy vests are out right around the time I score birthday money and Christmas gift cards. ;) They're great with long sleeve shirts and scarves...they're perfect over hoodies and jackets. Warm and adorable. Usually a little more expensive, but really versatile.

With my mom at Christmas in some adorable winter-gear. 

The black leggings.

I realize there can be controversy over leggings...but let tell you how I feel since this is my blog and I can do what I want. I. Love. Them. They are comfortable and warm and black (so they go with everything :). They're perfect for workouts and lounging and walks and wearing to church with an appropriately long-enough flowy shirt and cardigan. As it turns out, I am still in search of the perfect pair that are thick enough (ask Jamie about her 'girl-in-the-see-through-leggings-at-the-library' story), go up high enough, and are the right fabric. If you've located such a pair, please let me know. My friend Ellen found the perfect pair in every color for $8 in Israel but as it turns out, I'm not planning a trip to Israel anytime soon. So there goes that option.

See? Leggings are even perfect for shoveling snow. They effortlessly match my pink Puddletons and G'pa Harm's Carhart at the same time.

The perfect infinity.

I can't tell Josh how many I have or he will leave me, but I tell you what. They are the easiest way to re-invent the same outfit over and over and over again, making them a perfect investment. Throw on a different scarf and no one will know that you wore the same skinny jeans and black V-neck for five days in a row. I recommend a perfect, neutral infinity (Vera Wang, Kohl's, $16.99 but make sure you use your 30% off coupon...and if you didn't get one in the mail, chances are Patti Boersma did, so ask to borrow hers). You can read more about Josh's thoughts on scarves here.

The cheetah print.

I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that cheetah print is God's gift to women's fashion. I'll wear it in dress or jeans form... on leggings, scarves, flats...and the best news all year, the Kardashians just came out with a baby/toddler girl line of CHEETAH SLEEPERS AND TONS OF OTHER ADORABLE THINGS...so in case there was any question, yes, we will be decking our future Boersma Babes out in all of this cheetah goodness. Seriously though, find a fab print and rock it. Over and over again. Plaid, polka dots, stripes, aztec, zebra, floral...I tend to have a sampler platter of all of these prints, but cheetah is hands-down my fave.

THEY EVEN HAVE CHEETAH BIBS AND GOLD SEQUIN TUTUS. Hold me.


Husband + Cheetah Print = Love

Another staple that didn't make the Top 10...a cheap skinny belt.

And to those who think this is a meaningless, worldly post that includes nothing of eternal value, let me remind you that finding modest, age-appropriate, affordable, fashionable clothing in 2014 can sometimes be REALLY FREAKING HARD. I survived the 'modest is hottest' talks during middle school; successfully graduated college without dressing like a (insert word of your choice HERE); and I am currently living through the age of 'Pinterest-perfect-fashion'...I've decided that I'm entitled to at least one fashion blog per year. Maybe two if I feel like it. 

I have a pretty excellent post coming later this week...I'm calling it "Josh Boersma's Fashion Evolution" chronicling Josh's fashion sense through the years. There will be throwback pictures and beards and Ankeny t-shirts and athletic shorts...it should be a good time.

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment