Tuesday, April 8, 2014

That one time when I lost some weight and people started asking me how I did it...

When we first got married, both Josh and I experienced something "How I Met Your Mother" refers to as 'Relationship Gut'. In my case this could also be called, 'Relationship Butt.' We were newlyweds who liked going out to eat and eating junk food with our friends, just like we did in our college days (which, coincidentally overlapped with our newlywed lifestyle, making quite a combination). Factor in the cruise Josh's family took six months into our marriage with our love for Christmas and all it's home-cooked meals and goodies, and we had a bit of a weight gain situation on our hands. 

"Hi we're the Boersma's and we like Buffalo Wild Wings."

This cycle was easy for Josh to combat. As a natural athlete and hard worker, Josh tends to gain some weight in the winter, and lose it easily in the summer. Over time, I inherited a few of his horrible habits (ie: drinking Monster, eating out a LOT, having supper at 10pm, etc.), and I didn't fair as well during the transition into married life.

January 2013 rolled around and I decided I wanted to go back to being a smokin' hot trophy wife, to match my smokin' hot business owner-of-a-husband. And here we are. I've lost 35+ pounds and random people are starting to ask me about how I did it...which is interesting because I don't have an exact answer. Here are a few of the ways I kicked the old habits and replaced them with different, slightly less horrible options:

1. When we order drinks, instead of White Russians and Mudslides (seriously, best. ever.) I opt for a vodka cranberry and the occasional Sex on the Beach. They're usually cheaper anyway. Win win.

2. I can't remember the last time I ordered a frappucino...it's been well over two years. Instead I get latte's or the fruit refreshers at Starbucks. Sane people who are trying to lose weight clearly can't cut out Starbucks altogether.

3. When Josh says, 'HEY WANNA ORDER BURRITOS?!' at midnight on a Saturday, I've started vehemently saying, 'NO.' There are times (like two nights ago on a Sunday at 8pm when we hadn't had supper and I didn't want to make anything because I'm staining my cupboards and every time I look at my kitchen I want to cry - but that's another blog) when I'll say, 'yes,' but I make sure to only get one scoop of rice instead of two. 

4. I rarely drink pop. I've replaced my afternoon can of pop at work with a Trenta-sized Starbucks cup of Crystal Light throughout the day. My goal is to drink four per day...ask me how many times that has happened...it would be less than 10...but I know I'm drinking more water than I used to if I always have it with me and filled with flavored water. But I won't deny my constant and undying love for Diet Coke.

5. I eat something for breakfast. In college the only days I would eat breakfast were days that I opened the Rec so I know exactly where that bad habit came from. I try and make sure I eat a Special K bar or Nature Valley granola bar in the morning.

6. I've always hated working out. But I don't mind squats and I don't mind Pinterest arm exercises. So if we're watching TV or movies at night and I'm not doing anything else like folding laundry or scrapbooking, I get up and do as many as I can. I also like going on walks with friends and sisters. With tips like that, clearly I'm a fitness expert.

7. When Josh says, 'Hey wanna order a Papa John's pizza?!' every single night of our lives, I usually try to remind him I did have something planned for supper (except for the past 2 weeks I've given in because of kitchen project mentioned in #3). On the nights when it's just easier to order pizza, I try not to scarf all 3-4 pieces of my half and save the other two for lunch at work the next day. Because again, what sane person trying to lose weight can cut out Papa John's pizza and garlic sauce altogether? Well my sister-in-law did but I'm convinced after the past 6 months and her incredible weight loss, she is clearly NOT SANE.

8. I got my tonsils removed in September. I lost about 10 pounds. Everyone said, 'Oh you will gain that right back,' but I didn't! It was sort of magical.

9. Buying cute, new clothes in smaller sizes is fun. Today I'm wearing some jeans three (almost four!) sizes smaller than I was wearing last year at this time. Which is pretty fantastic. And motivating to say, 'No,' when Josh will undoubtedly ask me to order a Papa John's pizza with him tonight (If you think I'm kidding, ask any of our siblings and they will tell you he pulls this crap on me every night! :)

10. When we go out to eat I stick to the salads, chicken strips, or steak section of the menu. As much as I would love to order a matching burger with Josh (This man eats the SAME burger wherever we go: the Tangler at Perkins, the Old Timer at Chilli's, the Traditional Hickory with Cheese at Hickory Park) I realized I need to get a grip and use, like, an ounce of self-control. 

Plus, what is better than steak and A1? Answer: Nothing.

It's been good to give God control over areas of my life that I've never given Him control of. In fact it was my silly little desk calendar at work that kicked me in the butt a couple of times with verses like 1 Corinthians 6:18-20.

So thanks for that desk calendar. 

"The Power of a Praying Wife" isn't exactly a 'silly little desk calendar'...it's actually excellent...I would highly recommend.

Time to get back to those (insert expletive of your choice HERE) cupboards. Blog on those coming soon. Or maybe not. Because they make me physically ill. Or maybe that's the fumes and the poor ventilation in our house.......................................................................................

BUT HOW DOPE DO THESE PRETTY DARK DRAWERS WITH PRETTY SILVER KNOBS LOOK?! 



MmB

1 comment: