Friday, February 3, 2017

How to Train your Dragon...umm I mean your Toddler


Here are a few ways I successfully decorate our house with a 17-month around...without sacrificing anything I love along the way. I do not put up a gate around our Christmas tree. I do not undecorate the bottom shelf on our book cases. I do not childproof the cupboards and drawers. I generally live by the phrase, "we houseproof our child." Perhaps an unpopular way to parent in our millennial generation, but it's working really well for us so far (I say that, understanding we've only been doing this for 17 months...I barely know anything...but I do know that Maverick understands the word 'no' and we use it frequently).

I feel like there's a balance between pretties Maverick can learn to 'not touch' or 'be gentle' with...and then there's just asking for it. I honestly don't have anything too precious within his reach. Nothing extremely valuable, breakable, or tiny tiny...because that doesn't seem wise (and also because we don't own a lot of that kind of stuff). But I do keep even my lowest shelves styled with picture frames, old books, flameless candles, mason jars, etc. and for the most part, he steers completely clear of all of it. And other than that...there's really nothing anywhere else in our house cluttered-up on his level. A HUGE reason I believe in and love a clean, clutter-free house (aside from the 2-3 months we 'do' Christmas...a lot of good training happened during those months).

In the living room Maverick's toys are confined to one crate and three small baskets under the TV. The crate keeps the toys we 'have on rotation' while the baskets keep his tractors, Legos, and balls sorted. He knows exactly where his toys are and knows how to ask for help if they're put away and he can't quite get the door opened. As long as he's gentle I don't mind him touching the shelves or the glass doors, though sometimes he needs reminding. I don't want our house to be full of furniture I'm terrified for him to touch. He can learn and explore and touch whatever he wants to, as long as he's doing it respectfully. And I don't see any reason that training can't start now.

In every room of our house, Maverick has a 'thing' he likes to keep 'hidden' to come back to. In my bathroom, it's my plastic diffuser attachment for my blow dryer. That thing can keep him busy for 20 minutes sometimes! In Josh's bathroom, it's a purple, plastic back massager. Again, something baby-safe and interesting for him to haul around the house playing with. In the kitchen he likes to pull out the tupperware/lids from two bottom drawers...he knows he's not allowed to touch the trash cupboard or the cupboards underneath the sink, but when I can redirect him with something fun and safe for him to play with...he has no problem leaving those cupboards that are 'off limits' alone. And now he knows those tupperware drawers are 'his.'

When/if I'm showering while Mav is awake, I shut all three bedroom doors and the bathroom doors, and I turn on PBS to keep his attention for 10 minutes so I'm not asking for a dishwasher-detergent-eating-accident to happen. For the first few weeks after Mav was crawling-mobile and walking-mobile I avoided showering while he was awake until he had learned the boundaries, but he can easily handle it now. Especially if Peg + Cat is on. 



Recently Maverick has decided toilets are just about the most interesting thing there is. It's not ideal for him to stand near the back and touch the handle and sides, but at the same time...kid's do that kind of crap all the time. I can't keep him from touching every. little. thing. when he's genuinely curious and it's not exactly hurting him. It's just more reason for me to thoroughly wipe the bathrooms down every couple of days and wash his face and hands more frequently. I don't want a house where he's scared to play or touch anything...he pooped on a throw pillow once and it was seriously no big deal. If I have anything that's too special or expensive for us to live our life...then that 'thing' needs to go.

I believe it's important to train Maverick responsibility for his belongings, respect for other people's things, and how we behave when we're other places. Those are big concepts for him to fully grasp yet, but he is showing signs of being able to understand. When we're at Nana's house, he knows he can't play in the fireplace ashes. When we're visiting friends, he automatically knows not to go near the pretty shelves. It makes going places much more enjoyable for both of us and in the event where he's in a 'mood' and tries touching something more than three times, he gets a swat, an explanation, then a hug and a kiss.

As for some of our other basic 'house rules'...we keep our shoes picked up and put away in a bin near the door. Most of our trash cans are 'hidden' from plain view, and that makes keeping Mav out of the garbage pretty easy. We keep remotes, phones, pens, coffee/water glasses out of reach at all times...because again, when Mav spilled coffee on my 12-hours-new rug at Christmas, it's because I left it somewhere asking for that to happen. Yes, he is smart enough to be trained...but at the same time, he's ONE! If I can't accept this kind of stuff when it happens as an accident and move on with life...then it's pretty clear my treasure lies exactly where it shouldn't. What good chance for a heart check whenever something gets lost/spilled/broken/ruined during this parenting journey.

One last thing that keeps me sane...we keep the toys in this house PICKED UP. Before nap...we pick up. Sometimes before supper...we pick up. Before bed...we pick up. Before we leave the house...we pick up. I rarely (if ever) find myself tripping over toys or frustrated at my house being a mess, because the toys are 're-set' two to three times each day. We're getting VERY close to him understanding how to do all of this completely on his own. And I don't just do it for my sanity...Maverick plays better when he has LESS stuff strewn all over the house. Getting his toys out each day and unloading one basket to discover everything he has in there is half the fun. He needs that fresh start, or he just ends up bored with everything after five minutes.


And that's basically it! We're nailing it in this area right now, however...

I'm writing this blog after two AWFUL Maverick-nights. Today I announced to Josh:
1. This is why we can't have kids close together. I will actually die of sleep deprivation. I'm sure that's a thing.
2. Maverick may very well end up being our only biological child because I'd like to adopt children who already come with TEETH IN THEIR HEADS. Perhaps not the correct heart to have for the adoption process? Whatever, IT'S JUST HOW I FEEL TODAY.

And this morning when Patti walked in the door for a Nana play date I said, "It's mommy-needs-a-margarita-at-lunch kind of day." This following a text that read: "HURRY AND COME PlAY NANA. WE ARE IN TEETHING HELL."

Hey. I've never claimed to not be dramatic. Here's to hoping tonight is better. Then again, maybe I should keep expectations low. Really low. So I guess here's to hoping I only need three cups of coffee tomorrow instead of four.

MmB

No comments:

Post a Comment